Plugged my heater into cold side on temp controller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
I've had a MO Smash in primary for 3 weeks, checked it last night it's done and I wanted to cold crash it before kegging so i changed my temperature on my controller and for some stupid ass reason I unplugged my heater and proceeded to plug it into the cold side. Therefore as I was trying to cold crash I was heating my beer. Stupid stupid stupid mistake. I realized it this morning on my way out to work and went and changed it. The freezer was about 95 degrees. I doubt 10 gallons of beer had warmed too much in 7 hours but has anyone else done this and do you think it would have any terrible effects. I'm still going to keg and see but it's just another wrench in my plan. thoughts? I'll just chalk it up to another learning experience that won't happen again.

I wouldn't worry. I usually heat up my carboy a bit 2-5 days before cooling it down - one last hurrah for the yeast to do their thing. Just cool it down now and keg it in a couple of days.

Back