Smoked porter with whole Vanilla bean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josers

Reaction score
So Stone did this with their smoked ported and it came out great!! I wanted to do this with whole bean when transfering into secondary. Any ideas on how much bean and how to put it in. I was going to start with two whole avg sized bean pods., open up and soak in maybe a cheap vodka (sanitize). Put them in the bottom in the empty carboy and siphon in the fermented beer.

thanks for any comments and suggestions

2 beans for 5 gallons sounds good. Open up, scrape, cut the beans in thirds or so, and add all the scraped gunk + beans. Soak in just enough vodka to cover them for a few hours, then add beans, gunk, vodka, and all and siphon over them.

So scape the bean out before soaking them? Any advantage/disadvantage to adding the vodka or draining it before adding?

I'd scrape it, yeah.

It's more important to add the vodka if you do choose to soak it in vodka; it will have pulled a lot of the essential oils into it, so you'll lose a ton of vanilla flavor if you discard it.

Subscribed. I had this Stone beer when they came to Chicago for a launch party and it was AMAZING. Let me know how this turns out so I can eventually make the gluten free version of it.

Latest posts

Back