Started the hops structure today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided in the winter to try to grow some hops and my father-in-law's this year. He has a 3+acre garden behind his house. Since he has Alzheimers, my wife and I are up about every other week anyway, so I knew I'd be able to keep a decent eye on the plants.

I put my rhizomes in the ground three weeks ago or so. I have 4 Centennials, 2 Cascades, 2 Goldings, and 4 Nuggets. A couple of the Nuggets are growing like crazy already, so my wife's cousin and I started putting up our structure today. We used 26' utility poles for the uprights - they're buried 4' deep. We have 1/4" cable strung between them. We've attached a pulley to the cable for each pair of vines. We have some baling twine that we've cut to 50' lengths. This is what the vines will climb - 25' per side.

We'll string up the twine tomorrow, and start training the Nuggets. Here's a picture of the structure so far:

Hops structure.jpg

Got the twine hung today, and put out a crapload of mulch. I got the long Nugget wrapped around the twine, and it hung like it knew what it was doing. Hopefully, everything will be up by next Saturday, when I go back up there!

Back