Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREMBLE

Reaction score
I always like to try new beers and keep an eye to the beer sections anytime I go shopping (I am Irish but currently based in Scotland.) At the weekend I saw a new beer in my local super market, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I had never seen it before so grabbed a bottle to try it, I have to say this is one of the nicest beers I have tried in a long time! :mug:

Is this a big brewery in America? I had not heard of them before and I am guessing as they bottle condition they are not going to be as main stream. Was just curious how this beer is viewed on its own side of the pond.

They've been around since 1981 states their web site. http://www.sierranevada.com/ It is a very nice ale. They keep in line with being a micro but I hope their growth in popularity and distribution doesn't destroy their product quality. Some big corp will probably make them an offer they can't refuse eventually and destroy their product! Bah, corporate greed.

I had some SNPA for the first time about a month ago. At first I was a little overwhelmed by the hop aroma and flavor, but after a couple I really developed a taste for it. Its probably my favorite store bought brew right now.

I really like a hoppy flavour, I just hope I can get this again and it was not at the shop as a one off, it certainly is not a known brand over here, I asked about at work and no one else had even heard of it! Considering some of the alcoholics I work with that really says something!

This is one of my all time faves. Excellent hop aroma and flavor. This is always available in bottles and on tap where I live. (phoenix AZ). Celebration Ale is great as well.

TREMBLE said:
I always like to try new beers and keep an eye to the beer sections anytime I go shopping (I am Irish but currently based in Scotland.) At the weekend I saw a new beer in my local super market, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I had never seen it before so grabbed a bottle to try it, I have to say this is one of the nicest beers I have tried in a long time! :mug:

Is this a big brewery in America? I had not heard of them before and I am guessing as they bottle condition they are not going to be as main stream. Was just curious how this beer is viewed on its own side of the pond.

Probably the most popular 'micro' around here, although as stated they've realy graduated to 'craft' status due to volume production. My buddys and I have consumed enough SNPA between us that we should own stock in the company (if they ever went public)!!! :tank:

Realy a good beer for its price/availablility. I have noticed lately that the batch to batch consistancy is starting to lack a bit in the hop department. Some batches are great, and others tend to push the hop envelope for me. I'm not a major hop-head however. The incosistancy could be more of a distribution/freshness issue I guess...

I'm also a huge fan. Nice thing is that it's a great beer that is available almost everywhere in the US. I keep a keg full of it's clone if at all possible.

Ah-Sierra Nevada Brewery!

They do indeed make delicious beers. I'm a bit biased though, as they are one of my local breweries (Butte Creek Brewery being the other). My homebrew club meets there every month and afterward we go down to the pub for a pint or two. Tonight, after the meeting, I had a pint of their Kolsch and a pint of their Octoberfest. Two very tasty brews. I think there is something like 18 beers on tap that you can't get anywhere except in the pub.

I recently read, in the local paper I think, that Sierra Nevada is the
8th largest brewery in the US in terms of production, sales, distribution, etc. but the gap between the 7th and the 8th is huge!! Someone at the meeting tonight told me that one of the big corporations recently did make an offer to buy Sierra Nevada but they were turned down and I'm pretty sure they would never sell out.
Ken Grossman, who owns Sierra Nevada, started out as a homebrewer in his garage back in the 70's and early 80's. Man, what a kick-ass success story!

It's funny, around here Sierra Nevada beers are so common that whenever there is a local brewfest type event, people here skip the SN beers and go for the other brewers stuff.

Ok, I'm just rambling, but if you ever get to Chico, CA you know where you gotta go...:cross:

Brew Dad said:
Ok, I'm just rambling, but if you ever get to Chico, CA you know where you gotta go...:cross:

Been there. Of course I can't remember much... This was during my Sac State days (early '90s), when I skipped class on Friday to celebrate my friend's 21'st birthday in Chico (he went to Chico State). :tank:

We wandered the town visiting several pubs along the way. I seem to recall one other pub in Chico where there were tricycle races. 'The Bear' or something similar. It's all more than a little fuzzy... :drunk:

:off:

Hey Aaron, my sister lives in Windsor. When I visit her, what's your advice for which breweries to visit? I know there are several in the area.

monk

You know, I've spent so much time trying beers from the European side of the world I never gave much thought to what folks over there thought of American beer. I know this thread is about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but are there any other non-BMC American beers that are well received on the other side of the pond?

Monk said:
:off:

Hey Aaron, my sister lives in Windsor. When I visit her, what's your advice for which breweries to visit? I know there are several in the area.

monk

Sorry about the delay. I've been away on vacation and just got back today. I'm embarassed to say that I haven't tried many of the breweries in the area.

Third Street Aleworks in Santa Rosa is very good. 707-523-3060

Moylans in Novato has very good beer (award winning) and food.

Gorden Biersch in San Francisco is good, but parking in SF stinks.

Aaron's Favorite: Anderson Valley Brewing CO is excelent, but Booneville is a long twisty drive away. It is an excelent place to stop for a pint or two if you happen to be passing through HWY128. You can find their Boont Amber and Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout in many supermarkets around here. Nothing like having it fresh from the source however... 800-207-2337

I've had beer from Lagunitas Brewing Company in Petaluma. Good stuff. I don't know if they have a 'walk in' outlet or Brewpub. I hang my head in shame as I realy should've investigated this long ago. 707-769-4495

I've also had beer from Moonlight Brewing Co (from a Keg). 707-528-2537. A friend of a friend works there. Good beer.

I need to investigate Bear Republic Brewing Co in Healdsburg as they're only 10 miles or so away. On the to-do list... 707-433-2337

The Hopland Brewery in Hopland (yes the town is named for Hops) has good beer. It's been years since I've stopped in there though. That's also a shame as I've passed through Hopland about a dozen times since then...

I have yet to investigate Dempsey's Restaurant & Brewery in Petaluma. 707-765-9694

If you are in the area you need to check out The Beverage People. They are an excelent Homebrewing (plus wine and cheese making) supply shop. The owner is an award winning homebrewer. They're on Piner Road in Santa Rosa. 707-544-2520

Currently living in the Nor Cal area, i must chime in on that, i definatly agree ANDERSON VALLEY is some of the best beer I've drinkin in a while, try and get your hands on their summer solstice cerveza crema ale, its a seasonal but i know there are still some cases and sixer floatin around stores around here. Bear republic is also great, as well as moylands

They do indeed make delicious beers. I'm a bit biased though, as they are one of my local breweries (Butte Creek Brewery being the other).

My local pub here in Seattle tapped a keg of the Butte Creek Revolution X IPA. That was a great double IPA. I don't think the keg lasted more than a couple of days.

Back