Yeast question pertaining to Octoberfest (currently in primary)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I am using a morebeer.com extract kit for an Octoberfest with european WL something or other yeast. I brewed and pitched the yeast friday night last close to midnight. The Octoberfest is being brewed as an ALE as I'm not setup for lagering. Morebeer has a modified recipe for it and as long as it tastes like Ocoberfest who cares. (certainly not me)

It's now sunday night and althought there is no visable krausen foam on the top of the fermenter like my other two brews from LAST weekend. There IS a two inch thick, what I would describe as yeast cloud, toward the top of the wort just below the surface.

I know the airlock is not to be used as a judge but it's hardly moved. If yeast produce co2 and alcohol during their feast then it would stand to be logical that there is not enough room for all that co2 inside the fermenter.

I noticed almost nothing till a little bit ago when I moved the jug to a storage bin and dumped a icemakers worth of ice and water into it to cool it down a bit more. It was at the top end of the ale scale.

I did the obligatory shake it up wake it up yesterday morning to let the yeast know who's boss.

Should I be concerned about anything at this point?

your good, probably just a bit of a leak around your lid or something

I noticed a really white patch appearing on the top/surface. I assume it's from the yeast being exposed to what o2 is in the fermenter since things arent rolling along yet..

I'll get pics and post as it just doesnt' look right.

This afternoon I got home to a nice white foaming yeast farm. It's not as huge as I would have expected by now but it's gaining steam so to speak.

slowest yeast I've seen so far.

Looks healthy...

sorry i even questioned the yeast... they know far more than I do.

Back