1st IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach976

Reaction score
I'm ready to brew my first IPA and just wanted to get some recipe critique.

6 gallon
ABV 6.62%
OG 1.065
FG 1.015
IBU 61.7
SRM 6.6

13 lb 2 Row
8oz White wheat malt
8oz Honey malt
8oz Crystal 40L
8oz Cara-Pils

.75 summit 60 min
.50 centennial 60 min
.50 summit 10 min
.50 centennial 10 min
.50 summit 0 min
.50 centennial 0 min

Dry hop 7 days
1 oz centennial
1 oz cascade

Probably use wlp001 yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Definitely up the amount of late hops. 3.25 oz pre-dry hop in an IPA is nothing and will be sorely lacking in the flavor department.

Two ounces is pretty low too for a dry hop. I usually do at least 3 in an IPA, sometimes more and with multiple stages.

Definitely up the amount of late hops. 3.25 oz pre-dry hop in an IPA is nothing and will be sorely lacking in the flavor department.

Two ounces is pretty low too for a dry hop. I usually do at least 3 in an IPA, sometimes more and with multiple stages.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a noob to recipe building. If I up my 10 and 0 hops to 1 oz a piece instead of .50 oz and double my dry hop, will it be okay? Any advice on the grain bill?

Any other advice on the amount of hops. I think I'll double up on my 10 min and 0 min additions and up my dry hop to 1.5 oz for each.

Skip the wheat and honey.

I've never used Summit, but Centennial is a great IPA hop.

Way too many specialty grains for an IPA. Here's my thought process on IPA's, especially for newer brewers.

1. Don't try getting cute on specialty grains, they muddle the flavors.
2. No crystal malt or very little
3. High sulfate water
4. One bittering addition, then pound the kettle @ 10 mins and less
5. Keg/bottle quickly and drink fresh

Skip the wheat and honey.

I've never used Summit, but Centennial is a great IPA hop.

Thanks. I'll drop the wheat and honey. I'm just using Summit because I have a pound of it.

Way too many specialty grains for an IPA. Here's my thought process on IPA's, especially for newer brewers.

1. Don't try getting cute on specialty grains, they muddle the flavors.
2. No crystal malt or very little
3. High sulfate water
4. One bittering addition, then pound the kettle @ 10 mins and less
5. Keg/bottle quickly and drink fresh

Thanks. I think I'll keep a little crystal but drop the others.

do some research on how to perform a "hopstand".....IPA's are all about showcasing your hops. Also I've always used lots of hops when dry-hopping...but lately I've been reading about "less is more" that the more hops you use for dry hopping give you less of a return for aroma. I'll be trying that concept on my next IPA. I just made a dry stout...not much in the hops department there...

95% base malt, 5% crystal.
First Wort Hop w/ 1 oz, then add 2-3 oz at 5 min or 0 min.
Chill down to about 180 and add about 2-3 oz.
Stay there for about 20 min, then finish the cool down.
Dry hop with 2-3 oz, 4-5 days after fermentation begins.
Dry hop with 1-2 oz 3-4 days before bottle/keg.

I would go with the hops and additions if you remove the wheat and crystal malts. Using a pilsner or Marris Otter malt for the base would work well as well both are light but do have a bit of caramel flavor too...
I usually add flaked oats for head retention and mouth feel but no more than .75lb.

I ended up going with 15lbs of 2 Row and 1lb of Victory and doubled all the hop additions. Fermenting now. We'll see how it turns out.

Munich is nice in an IPA. Add some sugar to dry it out some. I have had success dry hopping with 2 oz or less. I typically keg, so I just bag whole leaf and drop it in. Chill and force carb for a couple weeks and enjoy! Leave hops in the keg, no problemo.

Opinions on dry hop quantity? I'm planning on 2 oz. of Cascade and 2 oz. of Centennial. Too much, just right, less or more of one or the other? Thanks.

Back