Just started new batch missing Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno77

Reaction score
Need some help. I just started brewing a new kit and have found that I'm missing my yeast. This is a big problem because I live absolutely freaking nowhere near a place to buy any. Will have to order online.

I'm currently soaking my grain bag, and will next bring the 2 gal of water to a boil then add my extract (it's a Belgian white extract kit from Austin Homebrew Supply), etc etc...

What do I do? Do I call it quits and waste the grain bag ingredients (1/2lb white wheat, 1lb flaked oats, 1/2lb pilsner malt, 1/2lb flaked wheat)? Or is it better to continue and then...?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum area, kinda panicking and needed to post ASAP.

Huge thanks for any and all help!!!
-Danno

I guess tossing it is a waste for sure, making it and holding the wort until yeast arrives has risk but it's not a guaranteed loss like tossing it is.

Did you forget to order the yeast or did Austin forget to ship it? If they forgot to ship it, I'm sure you can call them and they'll get it out to you as express as possible. If that's the case, i would finish the brew and leave it in he fermenter until the yeast shows up. Just be sure to double check all your sanitation.

If you forgot to order it and don't want to pay for express shipping, I would wait to brew and just sacrifice the grain (order more with the yeast).

I've waited 3 days to pitch. With good sanitation you should be fine, but I would have them overnight the yeast.

Not their fault at all, it's mine. On a birthday list I made I gave my wife a link to the kit I wanted and said (in email):

" No "yeast fuel" or packs to keep yeast cool. I have no preference of yeast brand."

She read that as "I don't need yeast"

So here's where I'm at. I put the brakes on, I poured the <2 gallons from the soak into two plastic jugs and stuck them in the deep freeze. This seems very unconventional, but I can't think of a reason that would be a problem other than I'll have to bring those two frozen chunks to a boil when I resume.

What say you?

I would toss it....You are talking about wasting 2.5 lbs of grain or about 5-6 dollars worth. MUCH BETTER to wait and do it right! Order your supplies today and you can brew next weekend. If you get an infection you wasted 25 dollars and your time......

Yeah, I'm leaning more that way, because I like to keep notes about what I did so I always know what went wrong or right. This just unnecessarily introduces too many variables into the process. If it turns out crappy I wanna know that it's the recipe, not the cook, so I can find another one to try.

I agree with Phunhog, it's just not worth trying to save. You might be able to but you'd be chancing it for a few bucks. And if you saved it and something tasted off you wouldn't know what the cause was and would question saving it.

Rev.

That sucks just reorder the grains and try again next week. When you order I would throw in a extra pack of us05 and S04 and keep them in the fridge. With those two yeast you could cover most bases of types of beer if this ever happens again.

Not their fault at all, it's mine. On a birthday list I made I gave my wife a link to the kit I wanted and said (in email):

" No "yeast fuel" or packs to keep yeast cool. I have no preference of yeast brand."

She read that as "I don't need yeast"

So here's where I'm at. I put the brakes on, I poured the <2 gallons from the soak into two plastic jugs and stuck them in the deep freeze. This seems very unconventional, but I can't think of a reason that would be a problem other than I'll have to bring those two frozen chunks to a boil when I resume.

What say you?

I can't see where this would be a problem. You got your steeped grain goodies and you've frozen the water. Just thaw it out and add extract when you get your yeast. No reason to waste the grain you used. It's not going to suddenly go bad just because it sits in the freezer for a few days. It's more or less flavored water at this point.

Yep, I always have extra yeast and I always do a starter.
I don't live near a homebrew store either so things like extra yeast and some DME on hand are essential.

Just let the air and natural yeasts ferment it out...Make a wild sour ale. why not?

Update for any other dolts who find themselves in a similar position. I yanked those frozen jugs out of the deep freeze about a year later and continued my brewing like it never happened. I'm drinking it now and if there's an ill effect from doing it, then I can't tell! I don't recommend this as a "best practice" though!

Nope and the closest brewpub is about 30 minutes away. I learned my lesson, though, so won't happen again!

I know this is from yesterday, but you could put the wort in the fermenter, order some yeast overnighted and put it in when it arrives. I don't think a day or two without yeast would hurt much. As long as the airlock is in place you wouldn't have to overly worry.

Tapout said:
I know this is from yesterday, but you could put the wort in the fermenter, order some yeast overnighted and put it in when it arrives. I don't think a day or two without yeast would hurt much. As long as the airlock is in place you wouldn't have to overly worry.

Maybe I shouldn't add to this thread...but the original post was over a year ago. This thread was only revived by the OP to indicate that all went well brewing with year-old frozen wort.

Not really from yesterday, but thanks for checking in!

Wow! I have no idea how the time lines got so out of whack for me. I swear I saw the post was from the day before yesterday and that there were only about 3 replies. Disregard my advice. I doubt wort that has been waiting in the fermenter for more than a year for yeast would result in very good beer LOL. I like your fix of the freezer better.

I find this fairly comical. So have you been brewing for the last year? Or did you take a year off while your wort was in deep freeze? Lol, awesome either way!

This thread is old, but I think a solution that might have worked would have been to go to a store and buy an unfiltered craft beer that you can see yeast in the bottom. Then just pour the bottom in and see what happens!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I did take a break for a year! Fear not, though. I currently have three brews in bottles and one wine, too. Currently have another wine fermenting and just received the things I need to do an all grain for the first time (80-acre clone). ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389371555.083214.jpg

Back