Potassium metabisulfite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otownpyle

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm fixing to bottle my first batch of wine. Vinters Reserve Pinot Gris. I was going to add 1/2 tsp. of the metabisulfite to help w/ oxidation as advised in my kit. I believe it says to dissolve it in water before adding. Do I need to add it to water or can I just add it directly to the must? If I need to dissolve it in water first, I probably need to boil the water first right? If so, how much water do you recommend I use?

Thanks,

I just add 1/4 tsp prior to bottling directly into carboy. Also put a pinch into container of hot water where my corks are soaking prior to bottling

I dissolve it in a little hot water. Very little is needed- like maybe 1/4 or so? Stir well, to make sure it's dissolved, and then add it. You could also pull out a very small sample of wine, and dissolve the k-meta in that, and then add it back. I use the microwave for about 15 seconds, to get the liquid hot, and then add the k-meta. Don't breathe in the fumes, though!

ah ok cool deal... i might do both of those... I didn't even think about sanatizing the corks.. I'm using synthetic corks... does that matter? was just gonna do star sans?

ah ok cool deal... i might do both of those... I didn't even think about sanatizing the corks.. I'm using synthetic corks... does that matter? was just gonna do star sans?

Star San is a sanitizer. Kmet is an anti-oxident and doubles as a wet sanitizer.

Yeah I know that. Is there a proper way to sanitize the corks that is unique to wine? Is K-Met recommended for the corks over starsans?

I have allways used the K-Met as it is allways on hand..just a bit maybe 1/4 tsp in the hot water you use to soak corks. Yes I use synth. corks. Don't forget once you bottle to let then stand upright for three days or corks will pop out..

On another forum I saw a post where someone said that Charlie Talley doesn't recommend using Star San for wine-making. That is totally anecdotal. I don't know if anyone verified that with Charlie to see if it was really true. You might check if you are using Star San. I don't use Star San so I wasn't interested in verifying it.

When making wine, I use Iodophor and potassium metabisulfite solutions for sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back