Should have made a starter....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
About a week ago I brewed up a brown ale that came to a OG of 1.070 and just tossed in a smack pack that I smacked 4 hours or so ahead of time. Its been 7 days and i'm almost at FG but i'm starting to regret the no starter. What do you think?

lol, why suddenly are you regretting not using a starter? Your beer fermented.

I just figure there is more to it. I dunno just being paranoid. Guess I should chill, i've had mead ferment off one smack pack.

Your beer is fine. You underpitched, but it will still taste great. I read studies on underpitching vs. proper pitching and the results were not as cut and dry as you would think.

That said, a starter is a wise decision. Especially for a 1.07 beer. Usually a beer over 1.06 you would want a starter or two vials/smack packs. But your beer has fermented out so I don't see a reason to get bummed out if you didn't.

Use this site http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to determine what you need.

Take a sample and taste it. If it seems like it has some off or undesirable flavors from underpitching then let it warm up a bit and continue fermenting. Either way leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks if you can hold out.

I usually primary for 10-12 days before racking and have no issue waiting longer. I'm going to dry hop this beer so will secondary at some point.

Back