Watermelon Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey i just started this on Friday.

i did a little adjustments to it so i cant wait to see how bad i screwed it up LOL

but instead of 12 oz of honey i used 8
and instead of extract I had bought a full watermelon and juiced it so i wonder what will happen, hope its still good.

i am really excited to see how this turns out

I just ordered an American Wheat Extract kit from morebeer.com, and one dram of watermelon flavor from LorAnn Oils. I plan on adding the watermelon when I rack to secondary. Any issues with doing this?

Also, the estimated alcohol percentage is 3.9%. Is there a fairly simple way that I could bump this up by approximately 1%?

mlstarbuck said:
I just ordered an American Wheat Extract kit from morebeer.com, and one dram of watermelon flavor from LorAnn Oils. I plan on adding the watermelon when I rack to secondary. Any issues with doing this?

Also, the estimated alcohol percentage is 3.9%. Is there a fairly simple way that I could bump this up by approximately 1%?

Add more grains or more extract.

Adding 1 lb. of table sugar would do it as well, without changing the flavor too much.

Should be any issue adding the watermelon at secondary. However, easiest way to do it would be ferment to finish in primary and add flavoring in the bottling bucket.

Adding 1 lb. of table sugar would do it as well, without changing the flavor too much.

Should be any issue adding the watermelon at secondary. However, easiest way to do it would be ferment to finish in primary and add flavoring in the bottling bucket.

Ok, thanks. I might try the sugar approach. Do you think that 1 lb will make the mouthfeel much more watery?

It should all ferment out, but sugar can sometimes add a "hot" taste. So try to ferment low and give it an extra week in the carboy/bucket.

well it is a big hit among my friends and family.

i am thinking i am gonna try a peach pale ale from this recipe but use real peaches so i will be debating on how much to use over the next couple of days

I made this one again for the third time and swapped pils for 2-row from the recipe I posted earlier, used notty yeast and added the loran oil to the primary instead of the secondary. One month primary and straight to keg. Just tapped the keg tonight and this is just about perfect for me. Thanks again for posting the original recipe, this is just awesome. My wife wants this on tap year round.

Also made an aprihop clone with the apricot flavoring. It's waiting to be kegged, I will report back if it is any good.

just ordered

5lbs dme
2 oz citra
1 dram watermelon
wyeast 1272

ready to give it a try next weekend hope it comes out good

wish yu could find amarillo but no were to be found.

Back