Pale Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my money the British pale malts are noticeably richer in flavor than the domestic malts. BTW Maris Otter is a variety of barley and Briess is a malting company so the terms are describing two different things. Many of the British maltsters (Munton's, Crisp, Fawcett, etc) offer pale malt from multiple varieties of barley and they're all pretty good. It does matter what you prefer to brew and drink. The generally blander and drier profile of the domestic pale malts match up better with APAs and such while the British malts are perfect for UK bitters, ESB, porter etc.

English malts like Marris Otter have a more biscuity flavor than their north american counterparts. If you need semi bland base malt to build a recipe on, then American 2 row is the answer. If you are looking for a fuller malt flavor than Marris Otter is what you want. ( or golden promise). Don't forget Pils either, great for german and belgian beers, amongst others!

For my money the British pale malts are noticeably richer in flavor than the domestic malts. BTW Maris Otter is a variety of barley and Briess is a malting company so the terms are describing two different things. Many of the British maltsters (Munton's, Crisp, Fawcett, etc) offer pale malt from multiple varieties of barley and they're all pretty good. It does matter what you prefer to brew and drink. The generally blander and drier profile of the domestic pale malts match up better with APAs and such while the British malts are perfect for UK bitters, ESB, porter etc.

Ah ha! I did not know that. Obviously, that's why I asked. So MO can actually be grown here in the US? Far out. I was wondering because I the LHBS guy sold me Maris Otter instead of the Briess 2 row I normally get because he was out. Thanks again.

So MO can actually be grown here in the US?

Theoretically perhaps but I don't think it is grown outside of the UK and even there MO is only a small percentage of the barley harvest.

Some of the German maltsters offer pale malt as well. The Weyermann pale malt is excellent and can be used in any ale recipe. It also blows the doors off the domestic pales AFAIAC.

Back