Glass Carboys for $10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I found someone with 15 5 gallon glass carboys who wants 10 bucks a piece for 'em. I'm gonna be on my knees for much of this evening, I think. :D

If you were a real man you wouldn't have to beg...;)...just kidding...

I just spent another $250 on ingredients...I just take my receipt to my wife to let her know what I did.

She's never complained once (since 1994) about my purchases.

She knows that I know I don't need her permission. :D

I don't want to come off as sounding macho or like an a-hole because that's not who/what I am, but I've always been the big spender in our family. As long as I can afford it...why not enjoy the fruits of your labor?

If you were a real man you wouldn't have to beg...;)

I just spent another $250 on ingredients...I just take my receipt to my wife to let her know what I did.

She's never complained once (since 1994) about my purchases.

She knows that I know I don't need her permission. :D

YA...That has more to do with her than HIM! It really helps to be married to a woman that is less of a *****! And it helps to be financially secure enough that she isn't going to have to do without conditioner while you brew!

Oh, I've got a fantastic wife. But we're not that comfy financially at the moment (kids, etc). If I spent 250 unexpectedly, we might not make rent or our car payment. And I'm totally awful with money so I leave the finances to her. When I was single, I'd bounce a check a few times a year. Since being married, we've never overdrawn and never missed a bill. So, I defer all spending decisions to her. Plus, we're apartment dwellers, so she's wondering if we have room to put a whole bunch of carboys. :D

Tell her it's an investment. The only North American supplier of glass carboys recently stopped making them, so the only ones coming into the country will be imported from Italy and probably run $40 - $50 a pop new (true story). Buy them now and promise to sell half of them for $20 - $30 down the road (fifteen is a lot of carboys ;)), so that the ones you keep ultimately will be "free!"

if you mention to her that by selling 3 or 4 of them for the going price you can pay for the whole lot then you can sell it as an investment opportunity. make sure to mention that the company that makes glass carboys has closed its doors and from here on out they will have to be shipped from overseas. this makes/will make glass carboys much more valuable and expensive in the future...

hehehe At this point, space is more of the issue. I've justified the money issue. I might hafta clean up my crap around here...

Skip straight to kegging. They're both a secondary and a serving vessel. You'll probably only need 3 carboys then. Or you could go with buckets.

FWIW, I'm really starting to realize that saving for the things I want makes me appreciate what I buy more. It actually keeps me from buying 99% of things on impulse, and the things that I still continue to want after 2 months.....well...I can be sure I really will be happy with them :) Budgeting is awesome because SWMBO will never have a problem with your brewing;)

Latest posts

Back