Ready to Bottle or Bottle Bombs in the making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
So this happened to me.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/been-searching-still-not-sure-slow-fermentation-blues-289655/

I relaxed for a week. Took a specific gravity reading last week at 1.022~. I took another one tonight and it's the same. There is still krausen rafts on top of it. My OG was 1.049 and I'm pretty sure the target gravity was suppose to be like 1.009 but I'm not sure. Going to call Austin Home Brew tomorrow to check.

I'm not to worried about my beer being a little sweeter than intended. I was in a hurry when I brewed this I did not rehydrate yeast, make starter, aerate like I should have....Lessons learned... I just kind of want to move on to my next brew but not if I end up with exploding beer in my apartment.

So should I bottle in a couple of days or try to get some more fermentation going on?

Thanks in Advance!

Did you try rousing the yeast? That usually works for me. I'd do that then wait another week.

Was going to try that. Need to figure out a way to raise the temperature up round 80 too. Was thinking I'd try a desk lamp facing it or getting a heating pad or something.....

If there is krausen on top it is'nt done. Give it a gentle shake, that should help. How long has it been fermenting? What kind is it? 80F would be a litte high. Cheers:)

If there is krausen on top it is'nt done. Give it a gentle shake, that should help. How long has it been fermenting? What kind is it? 80F would be a litte high. Cheers:)

Wheat stout with 512 dry ale yeast been in the fermenter for a month now. Yeah 80 is a little high but it seems like my fermenter is always about 5 degrees cooler than the room it's in. Should I shake it a little or stir it?

This is a good time for stirred, not shaken. You don't really want to incorporate more air right now. It might get an oxidized flavor.

Yeah,def just swirl the fermenter to rouse some yeast off the cake. Then put a blanket or old winter coat over it to warm it alittle. That's what I did,& knocked off the last couple points.

Roused the yeast this morning and cranked the heat. Once it gets warm I'll throw a blanket over it. May get a space heater for the nights.Guess I learned my lesson.... A good starter for a batch makes all the difference. From now on starters and good aeration.

Is this an all-grain batch? If so what was your mash temp?

I have had several beers finish in the low 20's due to higher mash temps and the beers were just fine!

How does the beer taste? If it tastes fine then bottle it and drink it!!! If you mess with it too much you may wind up with a lower quality product.

Just my thoughts, keep us updated!

Is this an all-grain batch? If so what was your mash temp?

I have had several beers finish in the low 20's due to higher mash temps and the beers were just fine!

How does the beer taste? If it tastes fine then bottle it and drink it!!! If you mess with it too much you may wind up with a lower quality product.

Just my thoughts, keep us updated!

It was a partial mash. Going to give it a few days.... I need to stay patience. It's hard. So hard.

*edit* It tastes awesome!

Back