Aging a Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So I've done a pretty thorough search on the topic of aging, but I want to get people's input on this. I'm planning a Wee Heavy with a calculated OG of 1.089. I'll most likely be aging in a 5 gallon carboy for aging before kegging (not enough kegs yet).

I'm trying to decide how long to let it sit before drinking, I'm thinking 2 months ought to do it before kegging, anyone disagree?

I had my Wee heavy for about 1 year. It was pretty much undrinkable before 3 months and did nothing but get better for the 1 year it lasted . . . I wish I would have waited longer and bet by now it would be unfreeking believeable

Pumbaa said:
I had my Wee heavy for about 1 year. It was pretty much undrinkable before 3 months and did nothing but get better for the 1 year it lasted . . . I wish I would have waited longer and bet by now it would be unfreeking believeable

Likewise...my brew based off a wee heavy went through a number of interesting aging stages before it really started becomming tasty at the 3 month mark

So it sounds like I might want to rack it to a keg (shucks, I'll have to go buy another one) after a few weeks (maybe let it prime naturally) and then put it in the basement for the next 6 months. Either that or bottle it rather than kegging (although I really want this one on tap).

buy a 5 gallon carboy and rack into that then put it in a dark cool corner of the basement for another 6 months, should be cheeper then a new keg and they ya have a extra carboy :D

I brewed my current Wee Heavy in November. I aged it in a carboy for until mid January, when I needed the carboy for another beer. I then transferred it to a keg, and let it sit until last weekend. One thing about this beer: FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

It naturally carbonated in the keg, which I did not expect after 2 month in the secondary, but I'm not complaining. This is my 4th round with this style, and I've made some tweaks along the way that could account for the longer than usual fermentation. I add some molasses, but I also add 1 cup of homemade cane syrup, which is probably slow to ferment. This is definitely a style that gets better with age. I recently found a bottle from my first batch of wee heavy made 2 years ago and I've never been so happy to drink alone!:mug:

Cheers,

Matt

Based on feedback my plan is to go buy another 5 gallon carboy (thank you Pumbaa), steal a milk crate for transportation purposes, rack to the carboy after primary is complete, put it in the basement and forget about it until Oct, rack it to a keg, carb it for a week in the kegerator, tap it and drink drink drink.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice you guys, I'm really looking forward to this one and if it turns out well it'll become one of my house beers (okay, they're all turning into house beers but what the hell, that's what this hobby is all about right).

Gedvondur and I have recently discovered how delicious a Wee Heavy can get and are planning to brew one this weekend (starter pitched...30 minutes ago). We're using the Northern Brewer kit and it claims to be ready to drink in 3 months, but it sounds like that's on the short side. I'm glad I looked online tonight.

Thankfully the local grocery store sells at least two Wee Heavies, McEwans and Scotty Karate (from Dark Horse Brewing in Marshall, MI). Somehow I'll manage.

Back