Buying a used Kegerator. Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
I am looking at getting into kegging my beer instead of bottle. I hate to bottle it honestly. Anyways, at first I was going to buy a co2 kit and soda keg for 205.00 from a brew store. Then I saw one online for 150.00.. Now I am thinking why buy just the kit when I can buy all the stuff used for 200-300 and get a fridge? Only thing missing is the soda keg.

I was looking at this one..Any tips about getting one used would be great :)

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/app/1466185872.html

The major problem with used is if you get it home and the compressor goes or you get a leak, kiss it goodbye unless you are friends with a refrigeration tech. With that in mind if all the extras (taps, CO2, reg, etc) are worth the money you are spending then you can figure the box can be replaced and you can build a new one. If you buy a new unit you have a warranty and most likely will have years of good service. I bought an old fridge for $50 and it did not last long, next time out I bought a new chest freezer.

Make sure the box is cold and running when you go look at it. Don't listen to any BS reasons why it's not. Like the electric company turned the power off last night by mistake or my son pulled the cord out of the wall.

My friend can repair fridges but if the part costs 100 bucks what is the point.

Gone567890

Good point about buying used, most of the parts of a kegger are not subject to failure and can be used in new system. I moved all of the parts from my old kegger to the new one. The chest freezer was $155 and if I hadn't made the collar so thick, that would have been my only cost. As it was, I bought longer shanks and sold the old ones, which covered the cost of two of the new ones.

Hey guys I am about to offer 300 for this kegerator. Looks like it was custom made by a company. Guy says it retails for 799.99.. It also have a digital thermostat. I was going to use it to ferment my carboys since it has a digital thermostat. Then transfer into soda keg and hook up. What do you guys think?

3n23k83pa5T95Q85S79bif8692f91ccd2100e.jpg

Find out the maker and model number, then do a search on that particular model. If it has problems, you will find lots of threads on this forum and micromatic's forum.
I use my spare kegerataor for fermenting but I have a ranco thermostat on it.

I emailed him and back out of it. After reading all the reviews where people would buy a Danby and everyone telling them to take it back.

Yeah but having to add a fan, blower and mod it to make it work was too much work for something someone wanted 300 for. I am just going to buy a chest freezer.

Back