42qt pot and burner...any good???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex

Reaction score
I found this set at Walmart.

I'm in Canada, so all of those online places with good deals on pots are pretty useless to me.

Welcome to Walmart Canada

Comments and or suggestions?

I'm planning on 5 gallon batches...I'm just starting with all grain.

That looks perfect. I use a turkey fryer very similar to that one. Can't go wrong with that. Got the burner plus you have a large enough pot to do full boils for your 5 gallon batches, with plenty of room to spare. If you haven't done full boils yet, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results compared with topping off.

i didn't see a price but it looks pretty good. Any idea what the burner is like? Looks like it might be similar to the Bayou SQ14. I say go for it.:mug:

It's $96 CAD for the burner and pot.

Having no idea what the availability of this kind of thing is up in the Great White North, I would say that 96 C or 85 USD is a fair price. Looks good and will probably serve you well. Not a steal...not a rip...up to you??

I just found a very similar burner and pot at another location.

The pot is listed as 48L and the burner looks almost the same.

It's a bit more $$$ but not enough to make a difference.

42qt or 48L???

Bigger is better???

If you are thinking about making some really big AG barleywines, the 42 might be a bit tight.

Go ahead and buy it! I picked up one similair from my local Rona (Winnipeg). I've already done two 5 gallon(19L) AG batches in it. Works great! That seems to be the average price for a set up like that in this country.

I would get two of those combos. One pot for boils, one for doing mashes. You could drill a hole in the bottom and install a valve, and then use that pull-out strainer, maybe combined with a spacer if necessary (cannot tell if it goes all the way to the bottom of the pot) as a sort of false bottom. Plus, it's easier to clean up all your spent grain when you're done. Just pull it out and dump it.

I would get two of those combos. One pot for boils, one for doing mashes. You could drill a hole in the bottom and install a valve, and then use that pull-out strainer, maybe combined with a spacer if necessary (cannot tell if it goes all the way to the bottom of the pot) as a sort of false bottom. Plus, it's easier to clean up all your spent grain when you're done. Just pull it out and dump it.

Or, put a nylon paint strainer bag into that collander to make clean up a breeze! :D

Back