Primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitthewall79

Reaction score
So i put an airlock on my primary, after reading for a while, i saw that this was a bad idea. I've now taken the airlock off, but it's been 2 days, what damage did i do?

WTF were you reading that said using an airlock is a bad idea? Put... the airlock... back. It's what protects your beer from airborne yeasts and bacteria.

For the first days of your ferementation (AKA primary) it's recommended not to use an airlock.

No damage has been done, don't worry about it. Just give it a couple of stirs each day for proper aeration.

A blow off tube tube set up is best for the first few days, then replace with an airlock.
I never open mine until im ready to check fermentation is done.

A blow off tube is still a form of airlock. I don't know anyone (short of bald guys in robes who live with other men) who recommends just leaving your beer open to the air for the first few days of fermentation.

A blow off tube is still a form of airlock. I don't know anyone (short of bald guys in robes who live with other men) who recommends just leaving your beer open to the air for the first few days of fermentation.

Um, we're in the wine forum?

Most winemakers do a "real" primary and secondary, and with fruit normally the first 5 days is without an airlock. You cover the primary with a towel or something to keep bugs out, but the wine is generally stirred several times a day, so it's often in a bucket so you can stir down the cap that forums and then remove the fruit and rack to secondary on about day 5-7 or when the wine reaches 1.020-1.010.

After fermentation slows down, and the wine is under 1.020, that's when it's racked to a carboy and airlocked to prevent oxidation.

Um, we're in the wine forum?

Most bald guys in robes recommend double checking which forum they're in when they're posting while drunk!

self_facepalm.jpg

Carry on.

Back