Doppelbock + Barley wine = Doppel Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollby

Reaction score
One of my favorite beers is Barley wine, I also love Bock and Lager beers.

I really would like to do a Barley wine that is more a German version not English or American style since I love the German hops too.

DoppelBock is upto 12% ABV, the big thing is DB is known for light or no real front hop lower 16-23 IBU were as Barley wine is 50-80 IBU for English and 50-120 IBU American.

So doing a Doppel Wine would be 50-100 IBU with no Adjuncts (Purity law) and thinking Munich malt, along with others.

I forgot to copy the recipe I was working on from home is basically a partial mash and LME brew around 11%ABV using Northern Brewer, Tettnang and Hallertau hops.

IBU was 92
SRM was 19

Munich LME and Grains (I have 2# LME to use up or would of been Munich grains only)
Golden/Pale LME (2#)
Crystal 80L
German Melanoidan Malt
Wyeast 1007 German Ale (2 packs)

Going to do a 2.5 gallon test batch, if good December 2012 next year do 5 gallon batch

Thoughts?

Why not use a lager yeast? If you like it you should start it in the next couple months so it's ready for christmas this year.

Was worried about the ABV tolerance from the lager yeast. What I have available from LHBS is pretty much Lagers are to 9% ABV.

If I want something else would have to special order the yeast, and do not really want to pay that much for a test batch

Back