Hefeweizen taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharmguy

Reaction score
Just bottled a hefe, 1st sample = strong ... bannana taste. I dont mind it too much but would like it to calm down a bit. Is this a taste that will calm down over time or am I stuck?

most would say no,but i have a hefe i've been drinking way too early.just opened my first month old one and the banana/clove taste isn't quite as strong.By the way that flavor is usualy sot after in hefeweizen.Most hefe/wheat yeasts give it that flavor.especialy if fermented warm.

Yeah, I wanted a bit...just not so strong.

Next time you brew a batch, drop your fermentation temps down a bit, and keep it constant.....no fluctuations. For my taste...WL300 at 58 to 60 is perfect.

In JZ's Bavarian Hefe podcast he talks about searching for the right fermentation temperatures. He said he never got his flavors right until someone told him to ferment at 62 (that's wort temp, not ambient).

I had to turn my fridge down to almost 52 to maintain my primary at 62. I used HB_99's easy extract Hefe recipe & it was one of the best, most "authentic" beers i've done yet. Great balance & just the right amount of bananna/clove going on.

Latest posts

Back