First Brew's Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I am currently tasting my first brew. It's a Brewers Best kit, American Amber. Tastes good except it is very flat. It's been bottle conditioning at about 68*F for 9 days. I realize this is early, and it is still green. But I have been told you should taste your first few brews once a week every week to convince yourself not to jump the gun. So that is what I am doing.

When I poured the beer into a standard pint glass, there was zero head on it. I guess my question is how long does a beer take to develop head. Just curious.

P.S. I used 5oz of 'Priming Sugar' that came with the ingredient kit. Dissolved it in 2 cups of boiling water before adding it to the bottling bucket.

Did the same thing. 9 days popped my first one and nothing. What a differance day 15 made, nice cabonation and a beatiful head. mine is a nut brown ale. Infact it was so good looking I think i will have another. I have a cool house so is only sitting at 68 degrees. 70 sounds like what everyone says...
To Brew

The standard answer is about three weeks at 70 degrees. This time of year is colder for most of us, so it can take longer.

Yoops right, this time of year my loft is low 60's so 3 weeks carb time is a happy memory from the summer. One of the things I'm doing is stacking my cases of just bottled beer into a sleeping bag...that seems to help warm them up a little bit more.

But take a read of this write up I did on bottle carbing and conditioning, it will give you some ideas of what's going on..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

i did a 14 day taste test too and it was good but flat. i'll try one again at 21 days and
since its cooler wait 28 days till serving to friends, man i need to build a pipeline.

welcome tobrew; from a former mass resident and ashby camper.

my first batch has been flat for well over 2 months. i probably screwed it up somehow haha. good thing my other ones are great.

Back