Chest Freezer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckferrorists

Reaction score
Ok guys. So for our first anniversary, my wife asked what I wanted and I said a chest freezer for a keezer. This is the first one I found and i think it's perfect.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04616959000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Freezers

couple of questions. How many corny's do you think I could fit in there. Also, it has a temperature alarm. Would this alarm become an issue if I use this temperature controller?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4230

Any and all advice would be awesome.

That sounds about right. Go to Lowes and look at their selection. I can not find mine on line right now, but we got a 15 cft for the same price as the one you are looking at.

I have a 7.5cu sears chest, and I can barely squeeze 3 cornies, and a 5lb cylinder in there.
The problem is the compressor 'hump/ledge' on the left that wastes space...and is exactly why the one in Bobby's post is such a sweet freezer....the 'hump' is only in the corner, not the full depth. That alone is 1 keg, plus enough room to stagger another in.
Sears doesn't make their appliances anyways. They all come out of GE, Whirlpool, and Maytag factories...so Bobby's Whirlpool is a steal.

Unless you physically go to the showroom and measure the inside, you have no idea how many cornies you'll get in a chest freezer. I've done the shopping in almost every store that sells chest freezers in a 30 mile radius and you'd be amazed how ill-suited most are for kegerator use. Many have dimensions that will only allow 50% of their cubic footage to have cornies. Bottom line, get the Whirlpool 8.9cuft.

Like the others said, you really do need to go to the showroom and look at the thing. You might get four or five in there. You might get two or three.

Also, shop around a bit and check outlet shops. I have two chest freezers, and I got HUGE discounts on "scratch & dent" and open box deals. As long as there's nothing more than cosmetic damage, it'll run just fine and save you a bundle.

TL

Scratch and dent...check. I paid $200 even for mine.

I can fit 5 cornies and a 5lb tank on the hump. But, I have a 20lb tank so it sits outside. I THINK the hump would take a 5/6 gallon better bottle but I don't know about a glass carboy. I know people are always talking about putting carboys in with the kegs, but it's dangerous to try lowering them in there and you can just as easily lager in a keg. That's the logic I used and why I only put 4 faucets on it but now I want to add a 5th faucet. Sometimes I have 5 or 6 kegs ready to drink at the same time.

I looked at the freezer models at Lowes. I was ready to buy one because the compressor hump only took up a corner of the unit. Perfect for placing a 5# co2 tank on while maximizing the internal space. I did end up going another route because I could not pass up a deal I got on a Kegerator at Best Buy.

Don't be seduced by the additional 1.1 cubic foot. The depth front to back is shaved by almost two inches and you won't get two kegs lined up without a stagger. I don't even know if it will hold 5 kegs like the 8.9.

I was just at Sears the other day looking at that freezer.

According to my measurements, the inside depth is 16.25 inches, which makes it just a bit too narrow to fit my cornies in there side by side. The distance from the side wall to the compressor hump is 25 inches.

I figured I could only get 4 of my 8.5" diameter cornies in there. Depending on how accurate my measurements were, there's a slight possibility it could fit 5.

Is there such a thing as 8" diameter cornies?

I wanted to go with black color for my chest freezer but this is the only one I have seen. Anyone else know of a place that has black ones?

*edit* Oh, and on the temperature alarm thing, there was a sticker on the freezer saying it could be turned off.

I bought the same one a month ago. It works great. It should hold 4 cornies. Don't worry about the alarm. I had no problems. Are you building a collar or planning a tower on the top?

Back