Best burner for ~ $60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a while and typically do boils that start anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 gals. I've been borrowing a burner from a buddy, but need to get my own.

Any recs? I figured something from Bayou Classic, but I see they dropped to 10psi regs. Any ideas if the SP-10 or SQ-14 are still worth it, given that psi drop?

Any other recommendations? I'm all ears. Thanks!

I have the SP10, works great. I don't think you'll be able to find a propane burner - even the cheaper ones - that won't boil 6.5-7.5 gallons of wort. The difference might be build quality and endurance. The $150 Blichmann burner made of stainless steel will last forever, and you can beat the crap out of it. The $50 burner from bayou might start flaking or get beat up a bit. If you're going to be brewing every weekend, maybe spend some cash and get a higher quality burner - but if you brew every month, every 3 weeks or so ... just get the cheaper ones. You won't have any problems with the boil.

Meh.....I dont care about materials. Most of them are made of iron, and flaking or no flaking, they WORK...period.

My main concern is efficiency (I'm getting 3-4 brews, including sparge and mash heating, per tank), so I don't want to go to something that's wasteful. At the same time, I don't wanna increase my brew times. My main concern was the fact that they dropped the regs to 10psi from 20.

I have a Brinkmann turkey fryer and a Bayou Classic SP10. The fryer is slow and the SP10 on my boil kettle is fast enough that I have to be really careful not to have a boil over. I do 5 gallon in 10 gallon pots.

sq-14 has a great stand integrated with it.. great for keggles.. amazon link $45 on amazon

+1

I've been using the SQ-14 for over a year now. It's a solid build, is great for keggles, and I believe it is more efficient than the SP-10. I believe people go through more propane using the SP-10.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

I've been using the SQ-14 for over a year now. It's a solid build, is great for keggles, and I believe it is more efficient than the SP-10. I believe people go through more propane using the SP-10.

how so? they come with the same 20 psi regulator
the sp10 works better for me on concrete where the sq14 wobbles slightly
ive alsways enjoyed tri-legged instead of the normal 4.

how so? they come with the same 20 psi regulator
the sp10 works better for me on concrete where the sq14 wobbles slightly
ive alsways enjoyed tri-legged instead of the normal 4.

These don't come with 20psi regs anymore. That's the thing -- BC switched to 10psi regs on them. That's why I'm concerned about buying one of these. They CLAIM they perform the same as 20's, but I have serious doubts, as that makes absolutely no sense at all.

I would recommend the 23 jet Hella Burner if you just need the burner.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12880

By burner, mean fryer. Sorry. I need the entire unit that you hook to the propane tank, regulator, hose, and all. When I said I "just need a burner", I was referring to the fact that the guy had recommended I check out an entire turkey fryer kit, which I don't need (I have tons of brewing equipment, but just need to replace my fryer).

Bass Pro every year in November has a cheap turkey fryer for $40. It is square, it is very stable with 4 legs, comes with an aluminum 7.5 gallon pot, thermometer, lid, and the fryer components. I have had mine for 3 years and can say it cranks out more heat than most burners. I go from mash to boil in minutes when doing 5 and 6 gallon batches. The pot works for AG but it is a bit cramped. You can easily sell the pot for half the cost of the unit or better :).

Back