Another STC-1000 Build . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Hey guys, figured I'd show off my STC-1000 box for my freezer turned Ferm chamber.

I looked over all the boxes on here and wanted mine to be a little more flexible, so instead of mounting a receptacle right on the same box as the controller, I ran some cords out of the box so everything could connect out of site.

Let me know what you think. After a little more reading, I still might add a fan plug for the hot side. Depends if I use a lightbulb/paint can or a ceramic heater with a fan built in or maybe a brew belt (don't know how well those would work in a ferm chamber)

Anyway, here's some pics:

2012-08-14124631.jpg

2012-08-14130947.jpg

2012-08-14140049.jpg

2012-08-14140120.jpg

2012-08-14180510.jpg

2012-08-14180528.jpg

Looks awesome, I just bought one of the STC-1000's off of ebay last night. I'm awaiting for it's speedy arrival. I think I may steal your idea with external cords as opposed to mounting a receptacle.

I'm not sure where I'm mounting it, but I figured it would be fairly universal this way and still have easy access to the controller without a bunch of plugs showing. Copy away! I always assume that's why people post. . .so we can steal good ideas for ourselves!

So here's an honest question, why didn't you have the cords coming out of the bottom of the box as opposed to the back? That way you would be able to attach it to the wall or the side of your fermenting chamber.

bken620 said:
So here's an honest question, why didn't you have the cords coming out of the bottom of the box as opposed to the back? That way you would be able to attach it to the wall or the side of your fermenting chamber.

I went back and forth with that. I decided on the back because this is likely going to be on a shelf beside my freezer. I just wasn't sure and both ways limited certain options, so I just picked one. I can change it fairly easily if I need to.

dougp said:
Can you show us how you have it wired up internally?

I don't have any pics from inside. I'll try and get some tomorrow. It's wired like all the others. Grounds all tied together, neutrals all tied together with one lead to the input power, hots through the switches and one to the input power. Pretty simple wiring. Plugged it in, works great. . .with a lamp anyway.

Misplaced_Canuck said:
You spent some serious coin on wire (large size) and connectors! Just as a reminder, this unit is rated to 10A. :mug:

MC

14/3 wire. It was $9. . . I have about $20 into this whole thing. Oh, plus the controller. I can live with that.

IFMracin said:
Sweet boots.

SWMBO's "my feet are cold" faves. . . She loves when I strip wires in front of the tv. . .no mess at all. . .

Mine would be ok with wire stripping, but the superglue on the ottoman might not go over as well.

Back