Dry Hopping Temperature effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
So this morning I left for work, and wont return until Sunday afternoon, and I am finishing up fermenting a porter and IPA I brewed in the last two weeks.

The IPA in particular was brewed sunday. I had slowly ramped up the temps after fermentation slowed down and the beer was starting to clear, and I put my dry hop addition in before I left. I have researched dry hopping before but forgot to get a tune up lesson before I did this, and now I'm seeing that most people dry hop up to 68F...I had set my fermenter to 72F for the weekend, and then I plan on slowly dropping the temp over the next week to cold crash for a week while I leave town again.

So...how significant of a difference is it for me to have dry hopped at 72 vs 68?

No issue at all, dry hopping at ambient temps is really not a problem as there is no fermentation occurring. As long as you are not dealing with excessive temps you'll be fine and so will the beer!

Jcoz, I actually prefer to dry hop a bit warmer than ferment temps. I simple let the beer sit at room temp while I dry hop (70-ish). I read an article somewhere where Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River) said that he feels ~70 degrees is the optimal temp for dry hopping, and there's no arguing with that man when it comes to hops aroma.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Jcoz, I actually prefer to dry hop a bit warmer than ferment temps. I simple let the beer sit at room temp while I dry hop (70-ish). I read an article somewhere where Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River) said that he feels ~70 degrees is the optimal temp for dry hopping, and there's no arguing with that man when it comes to hops aroma.

Me too

Sounds good, may be a tad high, hopefully it turns out well, no changing what I've done at this point regardless.

Back