1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am happy to find this thread. I started out brewing 5 gallon extract batches on the stove top. I have made many great beer, many so so beer, and some duds. My overall process was what you could expect. I usually did a three gallon boil, down to 2.5 and added water in the carboy. I started kegging and usually have two beers on tap at all times (usually one light one dark). I drink them slow however and sometime I get tired of drinking the same two two beers night in night out.

Then came the small batch revolution. I started seeing kits online (Northern Brewer/ Austin Homebrew, etc.) Well since I had everything already I decided to give it try. I thought it would be a good way to start experimenting more with grains and hops and yeast varieties. I also thought it would be a good way to start learning about mashing and all grain process.

Overall I am happy with the 1 gallon process. Overall it's an easier brew day. Time frame is roughly the same. The yield is lower, but I am fine with that because I usually have something on tap, a practice I will continue. I guess the advantage to me is two fold: 1- I like brewing, it relaxes me. 2- I like the experimentation and once I hit on a beer I like I scale it up on my buddy's gravity fed all grain system and keg.

I would like to see more 1 gallon recipes out there. I know how to scale them myself and I do it often, but I also like knowing someone has tried something and worked or not.

That's all, brew on my friends.

Out of season, I know, but has anyone ever used Saaz hops in an Octoberfest?

I feel like making an Octoberfest...

Man I wish it was Octoberfest....

Distilled water is what you want to use. It's $1/gallon, and worth the peace of mind in knowing that you have sterile water.

Tap water is fine. Distilled water is great for making a water profile but for top off water if your tap water tastes fine then use it

Tap water is fine. Distilled water is great for making a water profile but for top off water if your tap water tastes fine then use it

There are two possible concerns with topping off with unboiled tap water:
  1. Municipal water supplies are generally treated with chlorine and/or chloramine, two things you do not want in your beer. Boiling or carbon filtering the water will reduce those concentrations considerably.
  2. Tap water is not necessarily sanitary. Neither is bottled spring water.
Boiling your top off water or using distilled water will help you avoid these issues.

First off long time lurker, been doing 1 gallon all grain batches now for a little while and I am hooked!

I wanted to try a big beer and I wanted to age it. I was hoping I could start soon so it would have some time to age. The intention is to brew/age this for Christmas presents. (probably going to do a RIS, found a lot of nice recipes on this site)

Like a lot of people I haven't used/had need of a secondary yet, but for the oaking I would have to. I am a bit concerned about oxidation, I'd hate to age a batch for a long time and find it ruined.

I know people suggest blanketing CO2 in the carboy, but I don't have a CO2 tank.
Other people note it should be fine as the beer will still generate some CO2.

So two questions:

1. If I transfer from 1 gallon (glass) fermenter to another, I'd lose some volume since I'd ditch the trub. I am guessing it should even out with the oak cubes (not chips), but I cant get a concrete answer how much headspace in a secondary is bad. Should I top off with another RIS? (someone mentioned they've done that in another thread)

2. Is it worth the risk if I don't have a CO2 tank? I may plan to do some secondary aging/fruit/flavor addition tests in the future, so it might not be a bad investment.

Thanks in advance!

ocluke said:
There are two possible concerns with topping off with unboiled tap water:

[*]Municipal water supplies are generally treated with chlorine and/or chloramine, two things you do not want in your beer. Boiling or carbon filtering the water will reduce those concentrations considerably.
[*]Tap water is not necessarily sanitary. Neither is bottled spring water.

Boiling your top off water or using distilled water will help you avoid these issues.

I agree with cheesecake! I think that if your water taste fine, then more than likely your beer will be fine. I use tap water and have never infected a batch (knock on wood) Not saying it can't happen but I would think that most municipal water sources are drinkable without additional precautions. If your tap water tastes like crap or you get warnings from your city frequently of water quality issues, by all means take the extra precaution.

If you want to be safe and on the cheap just boil your water first cool it off and keep it in the fridge for topping off!

If you're careful, I think you ought to be ok. I base this on having made batches of mead and cider, both of which have aged for around a year with no extraordinary care and no signs of harmful oxidation.

Basic precautions are careful racking, using a narrow-topped container (jug or carboy, not bucket) with an airtight seal and airlock or equivalent, and keeping that as near full as possible to minimize airspace. I've not done this with beer, but I think that ought to be enough for a year or two of aging with some reliability.

If you're looking for much beyond that, additional care might be in order, but I think plenty of people get by.

I'm ready to go small, too. The LHBC competition for March are stouts. I don't usually drink stouts (they're not my favorite style) and since I don't want the majority of five gallons taking up closet space, i'm going with a one gallon batch.

I'm using my 1.5 gallon plastic PET (tap a draft) bottle and a #6 cork stopper with an airlock as my primary fermenter. I will add two drops of fermcap to it to prevent blowoff, but i'm looking forward to working with a small batch recipe, and the small amount of cleanup afterwards.

For anyone looking for an easy way to scale their recipes, Beersmith does it with two clicks.

careful, if you're like the rest of us you might never go back

Distilled water is what you want to use. It's $1/gallon, and worth the peace of mind in knowing that you have sterile water.

i use filtered drinking water from the grocery store.

it's fine... doesn't need to be distilled, you're only putting a couple cups in

Welcome back dads'... all that work and no play ....should make ya wanna brew!

certainly makes me wanna drink a brew.

got home, kissed the wife, ate dinner, cracked open a home brewed porter, and logged on.

dayum this porter is good.

i haven't had a day off since new years... but you gotta make it while it's there to be made, you know.

When doing a one gallon batch do you use a one gallon jug as a primary? Is there enough room left for fermentation? Do you use a blow off tube? Lastly do you rack to a secondary?

unlike my more sensible brethren in here, i brew exclusively with a one gallon glass carboy as my fermenter (always).

and i ALWAYS use a blow off tube. that was a lesson that only needs to be learned once. :)

and yes, i rack to a secondary.

i travel a lot, and if i'm going to be on the road, i move things to secondary to get them off the yeast cake, just in case things get a little out of control and i can't get the bottling done on time.

it's just one less thing to worry about

I am happy to find this thread. I started out brewing 5 gallon extract batches on the stove top. I have made many great beer, many so so beer, and some duds. My overall process was what you could expect. I usually did a three gallon boil, down to 2.5 and added water in the carboy. I started kegging and usually have two beers on tap at all times (usually one light one dark). I drink them slow however and sometime I get tired of drinking the same two two beers night in night out.

Then came the small batch revolution. I started seeing kits online (Northern Brewer/ Austin Homebrew, etc.) Well since I had everything already I decided to give it try. I thought it would be a good way to start experimenting more with grains and hops and yeast varieties. I also thought it would be a good way to start learning about mashing and all grain process.

Overall I am happy with the 1 gallon process. Overall it's an easier brew day. Time frame is roughly the same. The yield is lower, but I am fine with that because I usually have something on tap, a practice I will continue. I guess the advantage to me is two fold: 1- I like brewing, it relaxes me. 2- I like the experimentation and once I hit on a beer I like I scale it up on my buddy's gravity fed all grain system and keg.

I would like to see more 1 gallon recipes out there. I know how to scale them myself and I do it often, but I also like knowing someone has tried something and worked or not.

That's all, brew on my friends.

take your favorite big batch brew recipes, and divide by 5.

use a half tube of yeast (no yeast starter).

fiddle with your IBU's a bit to get the hops right

et voila

one gallon recipes

a six pack a week, and no worries if you make something you don't like, cuz you will only have to drink 5 of them.

:)

dadshomebrewing said:
unlike my more sensible brethren in here, i brew exclusively with a one gallon glass carboy as my fermenter (always).

and i ALWAYS use a blow off tube. that was a lesson that only needs to be learned once. :)

and yes, i rack to a secondary.

i travel a lot, and if i'm going to be on the road, i move things to secondary to get them off the yeast cake, just in case things get a little out of control and i can't get the bottling done on time.

it's just one less thing to worry about

And that's the beauty really of brewing! There are so many ways to do this and have fun. I have so much more Fun now then a couple years ago because I learned that the little things just don't matter. Whatever works for you!

BorealBrewer said:
BGBC - have you tried baking soda in water?

I saw your post just before I left work today, and ran it by the Chef at the restaurant in the park. He suggested a good, hot soapy wash, follow by a 12hr soak with hot water and baking soda.

Tell Chef thanks for the tip. Overnight baking soda soak seems to have done the trick.

Has anyone fermented a one gallon batch in a milk container?

I would be worried if you could really get all those textured crevaces really clean and sanitized. Plus only certain plastic blends should be used to avoid off flavors correct? ie. Better Bottle

Any one have a simple recipe for an all grain 1gal,American pale ale,I'm thinking of making one as my second batch ever. Or, maybe a SMASH brew close to a pale ale.
Thanks!

Any one have a simple recipe for an all grain 1gal,American pale ale,I'm thinking of making one as my second batch ever. Or, maybe a SMASH brew close to a pale ale.
Thanks!

suggest you go with something like this (don't have the numbers handy), it's pretty much my "go to" when in doubt

two row (or light dme)
40l or 60l caramel

Nugget as a bittering hop for 60 minute

Willamette as a flavoring/aroma hop (15 minutes and 2 minutes)

American yeast (or california yeast if you like wylabs).

it's a really simply mash, you can do as a BIAB or the hard way.

the flavor is nice

if you want to do single hops, try cascade.

if you want to do SMaSH, two row and cascade.

So I'm officially gearing up towards my one gallon brewing. I've got my shopping cart laid out this is what I'm going to buy at my LHBS.

Hardware

1 - 1 gallon glass jug
1 - #6 Drilled rubber stopper (they say it works with my jug and I should be able to slip tubing into it)
1 - Mini Autosiphon
1 - Mulsin Grain bag (says holds 3-5 pounds I'm gonna test it)

Does that sound good for hardware? Will I need different tubing and a different bottling wand? I would imagine not but I have no experience, I planned on checking at the location if they fit. Figure that the tubing will only be a buck or 2 more so I wouldn't guess any more)

On to the Software, I didn't ask them if I can buy less than pound quantities since I tablulated this online, if I can't it's no biggie as I'm sure I'll use these grains again. But this is my recipe.

2 pounds 8 ounces 2 row
6.4 oz caramel 40
1.6 oz Carapils
60 minute .25 oz Simcoe
30 minute .25 oz Amarillo

Dry hop with .25 oz of each as well. I'm kicking around the idea of adding a pinch of each so probably like a 10th of an ounce at flameout

I'm going to (assuming it's still in stock) make a starter for the yeast I'm using as I'm sure it's old. It's a local yeast made at a lab in princeton by a company called East Coast Yeast. I figure I can use their Burton yeast or Wy Yeasts. I plan on washing it after I'm done and freezing it to make another starter later as I'm sure I'll make more than one IPA.

Any comments on the hardware or software as far as things you'd change or recommend I buy. I already have a standard beer kit.

It's a shame that you have to make a starter for only 1 gallon. 1 Gallon carboys don't leave a lot of room for a starter.

It's a shame that you have to make a starter for only 1 gallon. 1 Gallon carboys don't leave a lot of room for a starter.

I probably don't have to. I'm going to do it to be safe if I get the local yeast as I can't go to Mr. Malty and find out it's viability. I'll check if there's a date when I get to my LHBS, they seemingly have higher counts per bottle than Wyyeast but if it's been on the shelf for 2 or 3 months it's probably in need of a starter. I'm hoping it's only been there for one month or 2 tops since then it should have at least 50 billion viable yeast cells.

I may just get a white labe or dry, but I realyl want to play with the local yeast

Oh, yeah absolutely, use your local culture. I was mostly thinking (typing?) out loud.

Maybe consider a 3 gal carboy, or a 2 gal bucket, to save yourself the hassle of explosive krausen.

Oh, yeah absolutely, use your local culture. I was mostly thinking (typing?) out loud.

Maybe consider a 3 gal carboy, or a 2 gal bucket, to save yourself the hassle of explosive krausen.

I've kicked the idea around of going with a bigger container starting out, but I think I'll be ok. Plus I'm just doing the 1 gallons for 2 reasons first being that's about all I can fit on my stove top for AG and second is that I want to experiment with beers so if i only get 8 beers instead of 11 I'll live. The 1 gallon brews are mainly for fun and maybe down the road for competitions.

So I'm officially gearing up towards my one gallon brewing. I've got my shopping cart laid out this is what I'm going to buy at my LHBS.

Hardware

1 - 1 gallon glass jug
1 - #6 Drilled rubber stopper (they say it works with my jug and I should be able to slip tubing into it)
1 - Mini Autosiphon
1 - Mulsin Grain bag (says holds 3-5 pounds I'm gonna test it)

Does that sound good for hardware? Will I need different tubing and a different bottling wand? I would imagine not but I have no experience, I planned on checking at the location if they fit. Figure that the tubing will only be a buck or 2 more so I wouldn't guess any more)

On to the Software, I didn't ask them if I can buy less than pound quantities since I tablulated this online, if I can't it's no biggie as I'm sure I'll use these grains again. But this is my recipe.

2 pounds 8 ounces 2 row
6.4 oz caramel 40
1.6 oz Carapils
60 minute .25 oz Simcoe
30 minute .25 oz Amarillo

Dry hop with .25 oz of each as well. I'm kicking around the idea of adding a pinch of each so probably like a 10th of an ounce at flameout

I'm going to (assuming it's still in stock) make a starter for the yeast I'm using as I'm sure it's old. It's a local yeast made at a lab in princeton by a company called East Coast Yeast. I figure I can use their Burton yeast or Wy Yeasts. I plan on washing it after I'm done and freezing it to make another starter later as I'm sure I'll make more than one IPA.

Any comments on the hardware or software as far as things you'd change or recommend I buy. I already have a standard beer kit.

Get more than one glass carboy.

I probably don't have to. I'm going to do it to be safe if I get the local yeast as I can't go to Mr. Malty and find out it's viability. I'll check if there's a date when I get to my LHBS, they seemingly have higher counts per bottle than Wyyeast but if it's been on the shelf for 2 or 3 months it's probably in need of a starter. I'm hoping it's only been there for one month or 2 tops since then it should have at least 50 billion viable yeast cells.

I may just get a white labe or dry, but I realyl want to play with the local yeast

I have never used a starter for a one gallon batch.

I just use half a vial of yeast.

I actually talked to the guy who makes the yeast and he said that this or next weekend they'll be gettign fresh yeast out so I should be able to get nearly fully viable yeast. then I'd only need about a 3rd of the bottle since they get 150-350 Billion cells per bottle. I may snag some extra ingredients if that's the case to get 2 batches rolling.

Go for half a vial of yeast. That way if you miss by a little you are still good.

When I tried to do a third of a vial, I screwed it up and under pitched.

Back