Just in from Portland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdrinkbeer

Reaction score
Hey all, I just found this site yesterday and thought it was really cool being able to get just about any information I needed on such a cool hobby.

I just had to join!

Cheers!

Welcome to HBT and the obsession of homebrewing. Which of the many Portland's are you just 'in' from?

Portland, Or. Home of the most micro brews in the world!
Hellza Yeahzaa! I was only in Portland for a few hours, but no matter where I drove (got lost), I kept running into microbreweries! I love getting "lost"! ;);)

Widmer is a sweet place with a ton of great food and ton of great beers - stuff they don't bottle. I will never forget the X-114 IPA - wtf was that!?!?!

Next time you're in town try to stay longer a do a pub crawl. Nothing like being able to walk from micro to micro and drink some of the best beer in the world.

Welcome to HBT! There are a lot of Portland brewers on this site. Home brewing is really well supported here - 4 home brew shops in the greater Portland area!

Hellza Yeahzaa! I was only in Portland for a few hours, but no matter where I drove (got lost), I kept running into microbreweries! I love getting "lost"! ;);)

Widmer is a sweet place with a ton of great food and ton of great beers - stuff they don't bottle. I will never forget the X-114 IPA - wtf was that!?!?!

The X-114 IPA is all Citra hops. Just had one yesterday. It was very good

Is the X-114 IPA any good? Most of the Widmer beers I've had were sub par at best, especially compared to many of the other area breweries.

I will start by saying that I DO NOT buy Widmer beers at the store. I just don't like what they commercially offer. But what they have AT their brewpub is really good stuff! Stuff you can't get in bottles. When I was there last October, they had a sampler tray that was full of Oktoberfests, specialty beers and many fresh hop beers - including the X-114 IPA. I tried to bribe the waiter into letting be buy a growler of it. I failed. :( Apparently it was hopped with some new, unnamed, experimental hop out of New Zealand (that is all the info I got outta him).

Bottom line... don't judge a place solely on what you can get at the grocery store. :mug: Prost!

Fair enough, I may consider giving their pub a try... it's so hard to forgive their bottle selection when Rogue and Deschutes have such awesome bottles.

Welcome... from a Portland Native currently exiled to San Francisco.

Will be doing a big brew bash at my Dad's house in St. John's (aka nopo ) when I am up there again... stay tuned for details.

big brew bash = brewing, smoking, grilling and drinking.
not necessarily in that order. ;)

When I move back home, I shall teach you the Jedi skills needed to get ANY growler you desire. :tank:

Could you do it before October when all the breweries are making fresh hop IPAs? Those are always my favs and they never want to sell me growlers! DAmmit! :mad:

Have you guys ever been up to Mt. Hood Brewery a.k.a. Iceaxe? If you're an IPA lover Iceaxe IPA is INCREDIBLE. If you ever get the opportunity, it's a drive worth taking.

Have you guys ever been up to Mt. Hood Brewery a.k.a. Iceaxe? If you're an IPA lover Iceaxe IPA is INCREDIBLE. If you ever get the opportunity, it's a drive worth taking.

YES! We went up there when we did our mini microbrew tour/anniversary vacation last fall. My favorite of Mt. Hood's was their stout. The bartender even made us our very first beer float with it - OMG! It was so good we bought a growler of it to take back to Idaho. It was gone the next night, and I've been turning people onto beer floats ever since. :cross:

P.S. We also REALLY loved Walking Man Brewery across the river in Stevenson, WA. Super tiny... super awesome beer.

YES! We went up there when we did our mini microbrew tour/anniversary vacation last fall. My favorite of Mt. Hood's was their stout. The bartender even made us our very first beer float with it - OMG! It was so good we bought a growler of it to take back to Idaho. It was gone the next night, and I've been turning people onto beer floats ever since. :cross:

P.S. We also REALLY loved Walking Man Brewery across the river in Stevenson, WA. Super tiny... super awesome beer.

What's a beer float? Do you mean a black and tan?

Fair enough, I may consider giving their pub a try... it's so hard to forgive their bottle selection when Rogue and Deschutes have such awesome bottles.

Their Pub stuff is all brewed at a separate experimental brewery in the Rose Quarter. Ike Manchester is the brewer and he is a really cool guy. I think Drifter came out of that brewery and made it big.

Yup, 99% of the time it is stout/porter and vanilla ice cream. I have seen some weird things on menus though (hefe with lemon gelato). I am going to try a Rogue Hazelnut Brown and Butter Pecan next since I have a clone of it fermenting as we speak!!!

Yup, 99% of the time it is stout/porter and vanilla ice cream. I have seen some weird things on menus though (hefe with lemon gelato). I am going to try a Rogue Hazelnut Brown and Butter Pecan next since I have a clone of it fermenting as we speak!!!

That lemon+hef sounds awesome! I have had quite a few guiness floats and at a tasting w/ Fred Eckhardt I had a Rogue Choc. Stout float that was great. At a Bastille party at Pix Bakery I had a Lindemann's Framboise float that was probably my favorite beer+ice cream combo.

I'm going to have to walk up to the gelateria tonight and get creative! It's supposed to be like 105 here which is 2 degrees shy of an all time record high (for any day of the year).

I thought we had the ability to walk into any bar in Portland/Oregon and have them fill any container (with limits) we brought with us. Such as mason jars, growlers, etc. Maybe it's just a policy of Widmer to not do this?

I thought we had the ability to walk into any bar in Portland/Oregon and have them fill any container (with limits) we brought with us. Such as mason jars, growlers, etc. Maybe it's just a policy of Widmer to not do this?

It's not a legal issue, it's a "house rules" issue. A lot of places won't do kegs/growlers/pitchers of "rare" beers. I don't think Widmer even does pitchers do they?

Yeah, it is just a policy (unwritten) that rare beers not be distributed in kegs or bottles or growlers etc. They did this at every brewery I stopped at (and that was a lot) – I kept wanting mass quantities of fresh hop IPAs and they said they only have limited amounts that they just keep for on tap. They even limit the amount of pints you can order (2)!!!! Full Sail did this as well. The tour guide there (Randy - awesome dude) even said that HE couldn't get a growler of the stuff, and he's worked there for many years.

Back