Stir Plate and Starter Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So clearly it's important to monitor fermentation temperature. But what about the temperature of your starter?

A stir plate gets hot and I've wondered whether creating a starter at a temp that's higher than spec for that yeast is a bad thing?

Well I did a little research on this topic... seems temps on the stir plate are important and should be ideally at 70 - 72, Tho' you could go up to 75, but not encouraged.

Also remember the stir plate surface gets and transfers that heat to the yeast. I took 3 of those felt things you put on the bottom a chair legs to keep them from scratching the floor. Works great, and keeps enough distance so the stir bar is stir doing its business and no heat is being transferred.

No discussion so far of what effect any fusel alcohol created by a too high temp starter would have on the quality of the beer....

Back