schiessenwasser Lives!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
10 lbs brown sugar
One gallon so pure apple juice
One fat yeast cake

ForumRunner_20121130_141746.png

Along with Adells apple and chicken sausages and kraut.

Chilled it good, but it still took off like a rocket. Very little krausen.

surprised how DARK it is.

I used a huge danstar cake from a pale ale. Went full ghetto on this one. If it turns out I will refine the process.

First drink of it not yet frozen was DELICIOUS. Amazing how much you taste the apple juice!!

I have a large sample freezing, will post notes soon.

Definitely a good one for the Ladies, I might develop a taste for it. It is still young and not eis'ed.

Cheezy, I need to give you credit for getting my thoughts swirling with this and the other thread. I am now in the process of putting everything together for an Eis-apfelschnaps. I have a gallon. Of tree top, a can of concentrate and 2 lbs of dark brown sugar which I made a caramel sauce with and added some cinnamon and vanilla to and tastes absolutely delicious! Now I just need to stop off at my LHBS and pick up some champaign yeast.

And here I was thinking I was done brewing for the year...

Cheezy, I need to give you credit for getting my thoughts swirling with this and the other thread. I am now in the process of putting everything together for an Eis-apfelschnaps. I have a gallon. Of tree top, a can of concentrate and 2 lbs of dark brown sugar which I made a caramel sauce with and added some cinnamon and vanilla to and tastes absolutely delicious! Now I just need to stop off at my LHBS and pick up some champaign yeast.

And here I was thinking I was done brewing for the year...

I'm telling you! 10 lbs of brown sugar and 1 galon of bottle applejuice and we have a winter warmer to rival grog and apfelwine. With your aditions (I am willing to share credit with you for this general discovery;)) we might be on to magic!

cheezydemon3 said:
I'm telling you! 10 lbs of brown sugar and 1 galon of bottle applejuice and we have a winter warmer to rival grog and apfelwine. With your aditions (I am willing to share credit with you for this general discovery;)) we might be on to magic!

It's all over now, I going to have to tell my friends and family that I'm contemplating making magic with some guy I met on the Internet.

It's all over now, I going to have to tell my friends and family that I'm contemplating making magic with some guy I met on the Internet.

I'll be over in 5 MINUTES!!!!!!! (like, I'm SO excited!!!!!;))

Lol.

I am actually gonna carb up 4 gallons or so since it is so tasty.

Will report about the eis gallon....or what is left...soon.

cheezydemon3 said:
I'll be over in 5 MINUTES!!!!!!! (like, I'm SO excited!!!!!;))

Lol.

I am actually gonna carb up 4 gallons or so since it is so tasty.

Will report about the eis gallon....or what is left...soon.

Hahaha! I'm only going to do 1 gallon of this hooch to begin with and Eis the whole thing! I don't know what my starting gravity will be but with the sugar alone I should be at about 90 points so with the apple juice and concentrate I'm thinking ill be somewhere close to 1.2 so that's why I need to pick up the champaign yeast. Hooray for big brews!

this is like getting to watch the best train wreck ever! you're gonna remember to post with updates, right?

also, that is a schiessen-load of kraut for two sausages.

Two more for lunch the next day with the remaining kraut. Good eye!

That aidell's chicken sausage and kraut is some GOOD sheissen.

(Also you are wrong! Young and un eised it is already quite good ;)

SORRY!!!! SORRY YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!)

I have a couple questions about how you're doing this.

Are you boiling 4 gallons of water with the sugar? or just a gallon or two until it dissolves and toping off? I'm guessing that the apple juice isn't boiled (or is it?). When you are doing the eis part, are you leaving it uncarbonated? at that alcohol level i figure it must be hard for the yeast to recarb it, and i don't have a kegging system.

I'm thinking of doing this this weekend and letting it slowly ferment during december.

I have a couple questions about how you're doing this.

Are you boiling 4 gallons of water with the sugar? or just a gallon or two until it dissolves and toping off? I'm guessing that the apple juice isn't boiled (or is it?). When you are doing the eis part, are you leaving it uncarbonated? at that alcohol level i figure it must be hard for the yeast to recarb it, and i don't have a kegging system.

I'm thinking of doing this this weekend and letting it slowly ferment during december.

Boiled 3 gallons with sugar, added juice at flame-out, chilled pitched.

The pre-eised fermented version is so tasty, I am carbing up 4 gallons.

Guess I could sample the eis at this point, will report.

You see what you have Started! Better get started now, only two more weeks till the end of the world!

I was running some numbers last night and I think I may need to add about 1/4 gallon of water to my recipe so I can get to a gravity that is more likely to ferment out. If I can find it locally ill probably end up using wlp099.

Seriously moto is a kind and generous soul. Great husband, beloved son.

He is in month 3 of a college thesis called "Contradicting Cheezydemon3, a lesson in futility"

His dedication is unflagging.

so, wait a sec, now that i actually read your posts:

what are you making now? a very strong apfelwine?

So is the apple sausage and kraut a flameout addition?

Its funny, because I actually thought they all went together before I saw this reply. I also thought that the sh!twater reference was for the texture that the sausage and kraut would provide for the brown sugar water

(in my best austin powers accent)
"its a bit nutty"

so, wait a sec, now that i actually read your posts:

what are you making now? a very strong apfelwine?

It is a bastardized apfelwine. Far sweeter than apfelwine......and believe me, I like mine DRY, this stuff is amazingly easy on the taste buds. So much so I decided to split it and eis half and just carb half. Uncarbed it was delicious.

Maybe the "cider" taste people complain of in beer actually goes well in actual cider.(sort of cider)

It means **** water from one particularly obnoxious heckler, so I let it stick.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/eis-rum-brown-sugar-ice-distilled-334032/

Interesting discussion, and damned if this stuff isn't almost as good as apfelwine.

Alright, this looks awesome. I'm going to make some this weekend, why not?

Couple questions:
1) Is this a drink fresh beverage, or do you let it condition a couple months?
2) What Yeast? I was thinking Nottinghame around 60* ramping up to 68*

Alright, this looks awesome. I'm going to make some this weekend, why not?

Couple questions:
1) Is this a drink fresh beverage, or do you let it condition a couple months?
2) What Yeast? I was thinking Nottinghame around 60* ramping up to 68*

Good questions. I don't claim to be an expert.

I just used a danstar yeast cake from a pale ale. young and uncarbed, it was amazingly tangy and cidery and sweet. Really tasty.

Can't help but think that age would make it even better, but who knows?

For all I know, fermenting at 85F might make it even better.

UPDATE

The sample I took last week was a bit premature.

After another week, it really did dry out a LOT.

I am thinking next time to do more sugar than the yeast can handle by a little bit.

Still good, but needs tweaking.

Back