Wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Did a search, didn't get much. So.....

Anyone have good experience with 1007? I have a primary going with it right now. Going for 5 days, OG was 1.052 current SG is 1.032. Wyeast claims it ferments down in the 55F range, I have it at about 58F, never fermented an ale that cold but thought it would be worth a try seeing as this yeast can do it, apparently. Made a half-gallon starter, mashed at 150F, pretty damn big krausen, bubbling a bit slower but still bubbling(not that it means a whole lot). No real worries just don't know much about the yeast and its ways other than what wyeast says, low flocc and good attenuation. I guess i'm just curious about anyone else's experience with 1007.

:mug:

Wyeast 1007 is one of my favorites - very reliable, and highlights malty notes very well. My basement is gets down to 52F in the winter, and it ferments just fine at least down to that temperature.

I'm working on an Alt with this one right now, at around 53 degrees. It's been less than 24 hours since pitching so, no noticable activity yet. But I had a 1.5L starter on a stir plate and gave it 50 seconds of pure O2, so I expect a healthy ferment.

I gave the fermenter under the stairs the wet t-shirt treatment to try to nudge it below 60 and freaked out this morning when I saw it had dropped down to 52. I am so glad to hear that it can hold its own down that far even.

The plan is to ferment this for a couple weeks in primary, with a bump in temp at the end, and finally to let it sit in secondary in my frosty garage for another 4 weeks before kegging. (Hopefully my current kegs can hold out that long.)

Feeling very excited about this one. Munichy malty goodness, here I come!!!

This is one of my favourite yeasts. Altbiers, kolsch, gratzer, buckwheat ales - everything cleanly fermented, from 55F up to 65F without esters. Not as flocculent as 2565, but give cleaner taste, less winey. And mature quickly - the beer is ready for serving in 4 weeks.

it also ferments just fine in the mid to low 60's, thats what the kolsch breweries in koln do. anything but too warm is good for that yeast. it takes longer than your average ale yeast to flocculate so be patient and you'll be rewarded

Usually when the ferment temps get down into the 50's the yeast take a little longer to finish up. Nothing to worry about though.

Did a search, didn't get much. So.....

Anyone have good experience with 1007? I have a primary going with it right now. Going for 5 days, OG was 1.052 current SG is 1.032. Wyeast claims it ferments down in the 55F range, I have it at about 58F, never fermented an ale that cold but thought it would be worth a try seeing as this yeast can do it, apparently. Made a half-gallon starter, mashed at 150F, pretty damn big krausen, bubbling a bit slower but still bubbling(not that it means a whole lot). No real worries just don't know much about the yeast and its ways other than what wyeast says, low flocc and good attenuation. I guess I'm just curious about anyone else's experience with 1007.

:mug:

As far as I understand it, 1007 is basically an Altbier strain which is why it can tolerate much cooler temperatures than other ale yeasts. The low flocculation is a genetic trait which allows it to stay in suspension instead of floccing out when the temperatures gets cool. And as such, beers fermented with this strain must almost always be lagered to achieve good clarity. However, it's an extremely clean yeast which makes it suitable for almost any style of beer where yeast character isn't important. I really like this strain.

Mine's warmed up from 52 to 56 and seems to be holding steady thanks to this arctic Chicago weather. Only into day 2 now, but it looks like a healthy ferment so far. Medium rocky head, lots of chunks swirling up and down.

Oh maaaaaannn... I'm excited...

Been brewing only for 2 years and have maybe 20 brews under my belt but so far this was one of my favorite yeast strains to work with. Poor flocculator? yes but makes great beer with little esters. Almost lager-like even at higher ferm temps. Great strain.

what kinda beer you makin?
A fairly standard Alt. Mostly light munich malt, some german pils, some caramunich, and all topped off with a pinch of crystal 90 and a pinch of carafa special. Spalt hops up and down and all around. I bumped up the hop quotient a bit more than typical of the recipes I've seen, but still nuthin' too crazy.

So, fairly standard. But as I've never had an Alt before, and have never made a lager or hybrid before, I'm quite pumped about this new venture. 60 hours later, holding steady at 56F, the krausen is still rising and there's all kinds of swirling going on in there.

Ahh... I love it when a plan comes together.
<chews cigar>

I have only used it once on a pseudo bock recipe, and it went slow but got to the FG I wanted.
I started warm at 70F to get it going for 24h, then colled slowly to 55F. It fermented for 2 or 3 days and started to slow down ( I can see that since I take daily gravity readings), so I increased temp to 60F. It increased activity and got lazy again after few days, so again, setup the chamber to 65F and let it finish.
The Krausen was always nice and white creamy!
Here's how it looks.

1007.jpg

Any updates on the Alt? I have one fermenting with 1007 as well, and plan to lager like you were planning, so I'm curious how yours is coming.

This seems to be the goto yeast for Alts. I have an Alt fermenting on 1007 as well. Been going for a week now and still a nice krauzen on it.

Very clean when I used it, just took a couple weeks in the bright tank (secondary?) for it to drop clear at 40 degrees. Unfortunately I screwed the pooch with the hopping so the beer is just short of being a tosser but the yeast fermented good at 60ish and left no esters I can taste.

Any updates on the Alt? I have one fermenting with 1007 as well, and plan to lager like you were planning, so I'm curious how yours is coming.
Not sure if you were talking to me, but I don't mind answering either way.

I've had it sitting, still in primary, in the garage at ~38-40F all these weeks. I anticipated having it kegged by now, but I still haven't killed any of the 4 kegs I had full going into the holidays, and now I've got a Bitter on deck ahead of the Alt. It's looking like it'll be well into February before I taste the 8-week lagered goodness.

But I will report. I really like how 1007 ferments slow and steady, but not so slow that it tempts the worrier in me.

Not sure if you were talking to me, but I don't mind answering either way.

I've had it sitting, still in primary, in the garage at ~38-40F all these weeks. I anticipated having it kegged by now, but I still haven't killed any of the 4 kegs I had full going into the holidays, and now I've got a Bitter on deck ahead of the Alt. It's looking like it'll be well into February before I taste the 8-week lagered goodness.

But I will report. I really like how 1007 ferments slow and steady, but not so slow that it tempts the worrier in me.

Sorry, should have quoted you. Keep us posted. I've got an Alt fermenting as well, about to lager it this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see how they both turn out.

I am brewing the cowboy alt out of classic brewing styles, how necessary is it to secondary at lager temps after primary for another month? I don't think I will be able to keep it cold enough once it starts warming up soon. It will be a challenge to do it for a month as it is.

What would be the benefits and or setbacks of just going with primary for a month? Does it need to be kept cool forever afterwards, or just bottle condition like normal?

Another big 1007 fan here, I use it often. Ferment in the high 50s, bottle-condition in the fridge for several weeks is an acceptable alternative to lagering.

Noted. I am thinking I should throw my California Common in the fridge also. It was carbonated after one week, and now bottled at 1.5 weeks in normal temperatures. I thought it finished high after not reaching specified FG. Could be sugar left even though it was in primary for a month around 58 degrees. It never really stopped bubbling.

I brewed an alt 2 weeks ago and it still has thin white foam on top. I pitched at 62 and cooled to 60 and keep it there for 10 days. just bumped it up to 62 thinking it was about done and I needed to put the blow off tube back in LOL I'm going to keep it in primary for another week then rack it to secondary or a corny keg to lager.

I tried this yeast on my last batch and it worked for about 2 days at 63 degrees. Then the yeast stopped working. The OG started around 1.035 and 4 days in the batch reached FG at 1.010. I gave it a few more days and threw it into the keg. I have my doubts if I should have let this sit longer.

image-1695619823.jpg

image-3237157962.jpg

I'm trying 1007 for the first time tomorrow in a malty wheat beer. Probably just wheat, 2-Row and about 15% dark munich. I hear it works fast and is pretty versatile, so I'm might do an american style wheat with Amarillo or Calypso finishing hops.

Any pointers on what to expect from this yeast appreciated.

A lot of large breweries use it. It’s very forgiving and you can beat the crap out of it and it still works. It also doesn’t produce hardly any diacetyl.

As soon as it hits final gravity you can crash it. No diacetyl rest needed.

Issue is it doesn’t flocc at all. Needs finings to produce anything remotely clear in a reasonable time frame.

A lot of large breweries use it. It’s very forgiving and you can beat the crap out of it and it still works. It also doesn’t produce hardly any diacetyl.

As soon as it hits final gravity you can crash it. No diacetyl rest needed.

Issue is it doesn’t flocc at all. Needs finings to produce anything remotely clear in a reasonable time frame.

I like the sound of that. I picked it up in part because I hear it's fast. Usually I don't have the ability to cold crash (other than putting it outdoors in freezing temps), but my kegerator is empty at the moment so I guess I should be able to crank this out in a few days. Although... I suppose I can just cold crash in the keg anyway.

I like the sound of that. I picked it up in part because I hear it's fast. Usually I don't have the ability to cold crash (other than putting it outdoors in freezing temps), but my kegerator is empty at the moment so I guess I should be able to crank this out in a few days. Although... I suppose I can just cold crash in the keg anyway.

I don't know that it's any faster than any other yeast. I think there are too many variables to reach that conclusion.

I don't know that it's any faster than any other yeast. I think there are too many variables to reach that conclusion.

I might store it in the keg at room temp for a few days as a "secondary". I'm finding my beers do benefit from a maturation period off the yeast for a while..

whatever works for you. I haven't found that to be the case for me.

I'm usually fine too, but occasionally i can pick up slight rawness in my kegged beers. When I say slight, I mean minuscule. But I usually bottle a half gallon of each batch and I find them to be noticeably better. I could well be wrong, but I attribute this to being off the yeast and warm conditioned for a few weeks prior to chilling.

Well, I brewed a 5.5 gal 1.050 batch on Sunday and planned to try fermenting on the lower end of the range. I didn't make a starter so I wasn't surprised when it hadn't started by Monday night. I warmed it from 57F to about 62F and this morning (Tuesday) it is popping away happily. Something tells me I'm going to like this yeast.

I’ve only used it once, and I bottle lagered most of that particular brew but 1007 is going to be more regularly featured in my house I think. I had concerns myself but let it rip at 60 for three weeks and loved the results. I believe it was still slightly cloudy when I bottled, but it dropped very clear soon after that. After a couple weeks in the fridge, it was clear as glass.

Well, I brewed a 5.5 gal 1.050 batch on Sunday and planned to try fermenting on the lower end of the range. I didn't make a starter so I wasn't surprised when it hadn't started by Monday night. I warmed it from 57F to about 62F and this morning (Tuesday) it is popping away happily. Something tells me I'm going to like this yeast.
Holy smokes it works fast!

Less than 48 hours in, it's flatlined and possibly done. As of Wednesday night around 11pm the krausen was dropping out. This is with no starter and a starting temp of 62F, climbing to 66F by the end. I'm impressed!

Last edited:
Only one day on gas and cloudy AF, but she makes a damn good wheat beer. 13 day turn-around and I probably could've packaged sooner but I didn't want to risk a naff batch seeing how I had nothing else on tap.

20200211_193022.jpeg

1007 is an outstanding yeast. Wins awards 'n' stuff. As an easier alternative, try K-97. It's either identical or damn near.

Thanks for the post an alternative!
I have a recipe that I planned on using 1007 for in the near future, but my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast. Do you know if WLP029 the white labs equivalent? I know they carry that particular yeast. Not sure on the K-97.

Thanks for the post an alternative!
I have a recipe that I planned on using 1007 for in the near future, but my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast. Do you know if WLP029 the white labs equivalent? I know they carry that particular yeast. Not sure on the K-97.

029 is entirely different from 1007. Not as crisp and clean.

Back