Red Vs. White in Pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Has anyone made pyment with red and white grapes? Could you explain how each plays on the honey?

I would assume darker more complex honey works well with red grapes, but ferments longer... but I hate to assume when you wait a year for your mead to turn.

Not grapes,but I've made several pyments with red and white concentrates. The whites are more subtle and perhaps allow the honey to play a more prominent role but the reds are good and do well with a little oak. I had a white pyment take a gold medal at the International Mead Festival a couple of years ago.

Not grapes,but I've made several pyments with red and white concentrates. The whites are more subtle and perhaps allow the honey to play a more prominent role but the reds are good and do well with a little oak. I had a white pyment take a gold medal at the International Mead Festival a couple of years ago.

Can I get the recipe?!

Solstice, is that white pyment your Alexanders recipie? Or is this a different one? I'd be super grateful to see it too.

The recipe linked to from above is a variation on all my Alexander's pyments. Leave out the spices and it's basically the recipe that took the gold medal at the Mead Festival. Do the same with red Alexander's and leave it as is or add whatever fruit you like. I have a red going now with blackberries that's bulk aging in a Hungarian oak barrel. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks SS. I had given up on pyments. I've always used store bought juice and even tried crushing my own grapes but have always been diapointed in the results. With Yakima Valley so close, will def try again using variations of your recipie. Thanks for posting it!

Back