Need router help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
My wireless router is slowly dying an annoying death. I want to pick up a new one but I'm having trouble doing my research for obvious reasons. Maybe some of you guys can help me choose one.

Control freak that I am, I want to be able to manage all the connections to my router. I have teenagers that I need to keep an eye on, but I don't want to limit my wife's ability to surf. I'd like to be able to track individual connections and have a history of sites visited. I'll also need to allow and block individual connections at my discretion.

I'm less concerned with security because I live in the country. Anyone who tries to hack into my network would pretty much have to park in front of my house and deal with a couple of over protective labs. I don't need Gbit right now. 10/100 is fine. I also don't need 802.11n but it would be nice to have that capability for future systems.

If anyone has any suggestions it would help me with my research. I'm only getting about 15 - 20 minutes of up time before the damn thing goes down again. It's hard to maintain a research stream when it gets interrupted so often.

Many thanks guys.

That's a pretty tall order for a home class router... If you really want to track all connections and log all sites visited, you'll need something a little more robust...

If you're insistent on being a control freak, look at sonicwalls... Be forewarned that they're more expensive than your typical linksys, d-link, netgear jobber....

If you can relax a little bit, try getting your hands on a older broadcom based linksys, dlink, netgear and install a third party firmware. You'll get a lot more control over your network with these things...

Or, simply get an off-the-shelf router (again, linksys, netgear, dlink, etc...) and just go with that. You can always install parental monitoring software on your kids machines if you really want to log everything...

That's a pretty tall order for a home class router... If you really want to track all connections and log all sites visited, you'll need something a little more robust...

If you're insistent on being a control freak, look at sonicwalls... Be forewarned that they're more expensive than your typical linksys, d-link, netgear jobber....

If you can relax a little bit, try getting your hands on a older broadcom based linksys, dlink, netgear and install a third party firmware. You'll get a lot more control over your network with these things...

Or, simply get an off-the-shelf router (again, linksys, netgear, dlink, etc...) and just go with that. You can always install parental monitoring software on your kids machines if you really want to log everything...

I'm thinking a third party firmware flash on a home router is likely the way I'll have to go. I don't think many home routers support snmp. Which router has the greatest 'McGiver' following?

Not that I have a lot of personal experience, but have you looked some type of low end PC to act as a proxy server. From what I've seen, this is a fairly standard Linux config...

I wound up buying one of these: Linksys by Cisco - Wireless-G Broadband Router

Apparently the firmware is open source so there are third party apps written for them. Well, for an earlier model anyway. I saw one reference that indicated that there was a third party flash created for this one in October. I figured that I might as well get a newer one since the older one will probably be obsolete soon.

I had to get something TODAY. I was told. SWMBO was down most of the day and I left on business. I have to bring the new unit when I go back home tomorrow and I suspect I'll have to install it immediately. The tweaking can wait. :D

Thanks to all who replied.

goto walmart and buy thier linksys router for 49 bucks. then visit ddwrt and flash it. just got done doing one and installed it at my neighbors house and connected it to my other gateway so he could save some money. BTW if you need help flashing it i would be more then happy to help. the version of router is 7.2

Not that I have a lot of personal experience, but have you looked some type of low end PC to act as a proxy server. From what I've seen, this is a fairly standard Linux config...

+1
I am not familiar with the 3rd party flash options you may have and subsequent apps. If those work for you great..if not.. here is another option.

Any router will do. But what you what to do requires some proxy service and/or monitoring features. There are MANY open source applications to do what you want and they will run on a cheap box running linux. I really like OSSIM combined with NAGIOS. It has great monitoring capabilities and is completely open source with a large community of support. If you are so inclined you could even have it send you an SMS message or email upon set criteria. Like every time your wife visits Victoria Secret ;)

I have a question for you, are you a fairly technical person? If so then get on ebay and find a used older version WRT54G Linksys and put DD-WRT firmware on it. It will turn it into a VERY powerful router for cheap. Get something like a v.3 or v.4, I think i'm using a version 3 at my house.

Well guys, as I said in post #6, I've already bought the Linksys WRT54G2. I AM a very technical person. That's why I bought the WRT54G2. Because I want to flash the firmware to increase its usefulness.

So I just got home and went to hook up my new router and guess what? It won't power up. I have another 12volt supply and it won't power the unit up either. I can't pop it open or I'll void the warranty. Naturally I don't live anywhere near the store that sold it to me so I'll have to make a special trip on Monday to get another.

This does not bode well. :(

Well guys, as I said in post #6, I've already bought the Linksys WRT54G2. I AM a very technical person. That's why I bought the WRT54G2. Because I want to flash the firmware to increase its usefulness.

So I just got home and went to hook up my new router and guess what? It won't power up. I have another 12volt supply and it won't power the unit up either. I can't pop it open or I'll void the warranty. Naturally I don't live anywhere near the store that sold it to me so I'll have to make a special trip on Monday to get another.

This does not bode well. :(

BUMMER! I've never had a problem with my Linsys routers, which have mostly been WRT54G models. I've bought these for home, work, and various odd computer jobs and they always do the trick. However, for you I'd recommend the version of this router with the Linux open-source firmware. It's easily modded and there are tons of different variations or the firmware you can try. I personally like DD-WRT and tomato, and I believe that ddwrt will also work on the WRT54G2.

Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers

Good site for modding info:
http://www.wrtrouters.com/firmware/wrt54gl/

Yeah I would avoid Linksys if at all possible. A few years ago I went through 2 Linksys routers that each lasted a few weeks before I gave up on them. Now I've been using a Netgear router for the last 3-4 years with no problems.

I'm using the DD-WRT software on on older Belkin router. Depending on the amount of flash space on the hardware you will likely not get all of what you want in the box... If it keep slogs of sites visited it won't be for very long unless you can log to a server...

BUMMER! I've never had a problem with my Linsys routers, which have mostly been WRT54G models. I've bought these for home, work, and various odd computer jobs and they always do the trick. However, for you I'd recommend the version of this router with the Linux open-source firmware. It's easily modded and there are tons of different variations or the firmware you can try. I personally like DD-WRT and tomato, and I believe that ddwrt will also work on the WRT54G2.

Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers

Good site for modding info:
WRTrouters.com .:. Firmware .:. WRT54GL

Thanks for the links. I'll have a wistful look at them until I get my replacement next week. :eek:

Yeah I would avoid Linksys if at all possible. A few years ago I went through 2 Linksys routers that each lasted a few weeks before I gave up on them. Now I've been using a Netgear router for the last 3-4 years with no problems.

It is a Netgear I have that is dying. I've had a lot of weird problems with it. In all fairness it was a refurbished model from eBay and the coverage is excellent, but I can't ping through it and it sometimes hangs up. Those hang ups are coming many times a day now, sometimes lasting for over an hour.

The Linksys comes with a 3 year warrantee.

I love DDWRT!!. You can do soooo much with it. I did not think that the newer versions of the linksys router could handle it since they no longer run on Linux but on some other proprietary OS. I have a WRT54GS V 1.0 I believe. I got it with the intention so that I could set up and play with VLANS so I could separate my Windows domain network from the house network. So if I screwed up something it would not take down the internet for everyone else. I had a hell of a time trying to get VLANS to work (not a Linux Guru...yet). In the end I just decided to lease a block of static IP's and configure a 2k3 box with RRAS. I still have the router and may decide to use it again some day

Well, here's the update. Apparently my old router was a piece of fecal matter from day one. I installed my new Linksys and my internet connection is flying now. My old router must have been dumping bad packets down the pipe ever since I was able to get high speed at my house.

I haven't look at DDWRT yet, but I think I'll look it over tonight. I doubt SWMBO will let me mess with the new router just yet because she's really enjoying our new found speed. Not a problem; I have a bit of research to do.

Latest posts

Back