The "stuff" at the bottom of the brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did my first brew the other day, Honey Brown Amber Ale from Midwest Supp, and after cooling the wort, I poured it into the primary through a strainer to filter out the stuff at the bottom of the pot. Should I have let the "stuff" go into the primary fermenting bucket to "feed the yeast"? Fermentation is moving along nicely with the airlock bubbling often.

Some people filter it out, some people don't. It's not a problem to leave it in there. The yeast don't feed off it, though.

fwiw, the crap at the bottom, (hot break, cold break, and mostly, hops) will be fine, and compact with the yeast cake, especially if you cold crash that bad boy before transferring.
i have done this with two of my last brews, and cannot be happier!

i only have whole hops right now so i use them as my filter bed in a strainer. works pretty well actually!

put colander over bucket. pour kettle contents through colander. hops build up in colander. act as filter.
dump all that crap down garbage disposal.

Back