Wyeast pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farrout

Reaction score
I have a wyeast pack that I activated a few hours ago and it is not swelling up at all. I usually activate them about 4 hours before I pitch and so far I have never had a problem. this time however the pack is showing no signs of activity, should I be worried or am I just paranoid?
thanks

Let 'er go for a while and see.

I am probably the last one to actually answer your question, as my luck with smack-packs is about 50%. I have gone to dry yeast, as my taste in beers allows me wide choices in dry yeast.

Was the pack in the fridge 4 hours ago? It would need to warm before the yeast will start to reproduce. Call it yeasty foreplay.... ewww, on second thought don't.

I have had smack packs not swell very much at all after 24-36 hours but pitched anyway and my beer turned out fine.

FYI - if you are really concerned then return the pack to the store you bought it... there is a very good chance they will replace it.

My first pack never swelled, I pitched it anyway and the wort smelled like rotten eggs with no real activity for 3 days. I then returned it.

I rang in and got a replacement sent out. This one swelled up in 24 hours (longer than the "3+ hours" stated on the pacK) and I pitched it. It's been bubbling furiously for a few days now with no nasty smells so it looks like this one is good.:)

My advice is leave it for at least 24 hours. If still no go, IMO there's a good chance there's something up with the yeast (assuming, and forgive me for being patronising but I don't intend it, you'd broken the nutrient pack within the smack pack properly).

Well I pitched the yeast, it took a little more than 24 hours for fermentation to start( very light fermentation), it has been almost 2 days now and the fermentation is still light(very little krausen), not nearly as active as I usually see. I am worried I will have a low attenuation. Should I just let it be, or could I pitch more yeast into it?
thanks

Well I pitched the yeast, it took a little more than 24 hours for fermentation to start( very light fermentation), it has been almost 2 days now and the fermentation is still light(very little krausen), not nearly as active as I usually see. I am worried I will have a low attenuation. Should I just let it be, or could I pitch more yeast into it?
thanks
Have you taken a gravity reading yet? I would certainly do that before pitching more yeast just to find out where you are. Also you should consider making starters with liquid yeast. They preform much better! Hope it all works out OK!

Just another reason to use a yeast starter. Also, it's a good idea to keep some dry yeast at hand just in case.

Back