So hops are fatal for dogs, what about other household pets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we're on the topic of dogs and beer...If Im not mistaken beer or anything alcoholic is very bad for dogs (and young children). Something to do with their not being able to metabolise the alcohol properly.
Maybe one of the vets can comment on this.

While we're on the topic of dogs and beer...If Im not mistaken beer or anything alcoholic is very bad for dogs (and young children). Something to do with their not being able to metabolise the alcohol properly.
Maybe one of the vets can comment on this.

Basically, without going into a long boring explanation, you are sort of correct. Basically, in humans, the ethanol is broken down by ADH into acetaldehyde, which is poisonous, and which is usually the cause of some people being allergic to alcohol. The acetaldehyde is then broken down by ALDH into Acetate which then is broken down into water (pee) and carbon dioxide (burps) to get it out of our system. Basically the dogs system does the same but is not able to break down the acetaldehye as quickly as humans, which means the poison is leaking into their system the whole time it is being broken down.

It obviously depends on the breed of dog, type of alcohol and amount taken in. That being said, some dogs don't really get affected. I have two dogs, one I found out loves Scotch, after she drank out of my glass one night. Sadly it was a REALLY good single malt which she decided to lap up. I have also heard that a full stomach helps if the dog has drank alcohol, but usually it has to eat first or eat right after because once they begin feelling sick, they will not want to eat.

"We're drinking Labrador, maaaaaaaan?"

cclab1.jpg

From what I have read...greyhounds are effected alot if they eat Hops...I think the article said 7 of the 9 dogs that were studied after they died were greyhounds...so if you have greyhounds...act accordingly

Nobody ever replied to the actual question that this thread posed, are hops dangerous for animals ASIDE from dogs?

My dog drinks beer. He loves ANY beer, but mostly craft beer, and he really loves stouts and IPA's.

How do I know? Because I pour a beer, and might get up to do something, and come back, and my beagle will have quietly emptied my glass without tipping it over or making a noise. He'll get drunk off his tail, and I hate when he does it, because he's obnoxious as a drunk.

That said, he's never gotten terminally ill, and only gets the runs and burps alot. I don't let him get near the hops in raw form though, urban legend or not, I love my little buddy, and wouldn't risk it.

If you have a pet wolf or bear, don't feed it hops.

My wife and I have pet rabbits and they ACTIVELY search out any vegetable matter that hits the floor. I found this thread while looking for toxicity information for rabbits because I had heard that they are poisonous to dogs. I was jsut racking to secondary/dry hopping today and as usual a few of the whole dried codes and or leaves hit the floor. I tried to make sure I didn't miss anything but you never know what may fall under a piece of furniture.

I definitely wouldn't ever feed them to them, thats pretty expensive rabbit food!:eek::eek:

Back