Keggle Cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicTrix

Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of a Keg and will soon be turning into a Keggle.

What are the pros and cons to cutting the keg as shown in the video verses the way most people seem to have done it here?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/szfW_rhz0iQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/szfW_rhz0iQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The search function will turn up tons of results.

That cut will give you less volume, flimsy handles, and less boil-over protection. However, it will allow easier pouring (if that's what you plan on doing) and a larger access "hole."

If you cut your key the way the video shows you will not be able to boil a 10 gallon batch.

If you are already using a turkey fryer pot, you can cut the hole in the top so that the lid from that pot will fit.

Beerrific said:
If you are already using a turkey fryer pot, you can cut the hole in the top so that the lid from that pot will fit.

2nd. I traced the lid of the 22 qt pot i used to do extract brews and i use that as the lid. i like having a glass lid as i can peer in to see how everything is going.

I jumped right in. After watching all the videos and seeing Yuri's awesome plasma cutter (which I don't have) and Bobby's rig, said F-it and took my rotozip with the angle grinder attachment on it and started cutting. I didn't mark it or anything. I got perfect circles and it didn't take forever like some have posted it took like 5 minutes a keg, if that. It was very easy just don't over think it. Not saying its for everyone but sometime you gotta jump right in and see what you can do:rockin: . I could post some pictures of them if you want.

Back