He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. (Double IPA w/ Rye Malt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
http://www.shmaltz.com/lennys.html

Malts:

2-row, Rye Ale Malt, Torrified Rye, Crystal Rye 75, Crystal Malt 65, Wheat, Kiln Amber, Caramel 70

Hops:

Warrior, Cascade, Simcoe, Crystal, Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial. Dry Hopped with Amarillo and Crystal

HOLY CRAP IS RIGHT!
Had a bomber of this about a week ago, and I think I'll be going on a beer run later to pick up a few more for NYE purposes. Not just a hop bomb IIPA as that hop bill might suggest (as many IIPA's are...not that there is anything wrong with that), but there is a subtle complexity here for such a hoppy brew and that Rye really comes through. Its a deep caramely-red with a creamy head and each sip is better than the last. It takes half a bottle before you start picking up each new characteristic. At first it was piney and you definitely felt the alcohol (10% ABV), but after that subsides you get that rye bite and it tastes a little sweeter, then the richness of the malts kick in. Of course, with the amount of hops used here, the bitter characteristics of a IIPA are present throughout.

Combined with the fact that the beer is a tribute to Lenny Bruce makes it all the more kick ass.

A runaway A+ as far as I'm concerned. This is right up there with Two Bros. Cane & Ebel as far as hoppy-rye brews go for me. I'll definitely be buying this one often.

Anyone else tried this and have any thoughts.

I had a bomber of this recently at the suggestion of a knowledgeable shopkeep.
I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. You described it perfectly.... Big hops, but that's not the only thing you notice. The rye adds a great spiciness while the malt definitely comes through.

I'll definitely be buying this again (and again, and again).

It's great that they post the recipe on their website:
http://www.shmaltz.com/lennys/RIPA_RECIPE.xls

Anyone care to scale that down? My mash tun won't hold 1425 gallons :D

Dry hop with 44lbs of Amarillo and 22lbs of Crystal :rockin:

So good and actually not that expensive. I picked up another 2 bombers last week before the playoffs. I made it through one on saturday but had so much other stuff to drink and didn't want to be downing 10% ABV brews all day. So one is just waiting to be had in the fridge at home.

I need to try some of their other beers. Though the one with pomegranate juice I think I'll skip.

I know this is an old post. But this beer is great and want to find a clone. If you have an idea what the inventory list will be please reply.

I tried to convert this to a regular 5gal batch using the recipe from the site, and this is what I came up with.

14lbs 08oz 2row
03lbs 00oz Rye Malt
01lbs 00oz Flaked Rye
00lbs 08oz Amber Malt
00lbs 08oz Wheat Malt
00lbs 05oz Fawcett Crystal II
00lbs 05oz Crystal 60/80
00lbs 02oz Caramel Rye

1.13oz Warrior 60min
0.5 oz Cascade 20min
0.5 oz Simcoe 20min
0.5 oz Warrior 20min
0.5 oz Cascade 10min
0.5 oz Chinook 10min
0.5 oz Crystal 10min
0.5 oz Amarillo 1min
0.5 oz Cascade 1min
0.5 oz Centennial 1min
0.5 oz Simcoe 1min
1.0 oz Centennial Aroma
1.0 oz Amarillo (dry hop)
0.5 oz Crystal (dry hop)

California Ale yeast (I am only guessing on this one)

Est OG- 1.095
Est FG- 1.015
IBU- 86.3
SRM- 10
ABV- 10%

There may be slight inaccuracies due to rounding from the breweries batch size. :cross:

We had some of this that a friend brought back from colorado, unfortunately all three bottles were terribly underwhelming... didn't even finish them :(
Must have had some age / storage issues, because it was a dead ringer for the flavor of one of my first extract brews after it had been aging for almost a year, with no hops, generically strong malt, like the most unmemorable barlywine you could make.

Maybe I'll keep an eye out and give one more shot if I see it for sale.

Back