Pittsburgh/Western Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might. I've only got one 1/2 sack to pick up anyway. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Kyle, I can help out on Friday evening. This will actually work out better for me since I have few things going on on Sat.

I'll come straight from work. If you want to start earlier I can make it.

Kyle I could come Friday evening as well if needed. The brewery is serving at Millvale Saturday so it'd actually be better if I could help and take my order Friday.

I just use a 5 gallon food grade bucket with an air tight lid. If I remember correctly, 1 of those can hold 25# of barley. They can be a waste of space if you have a smaller split though.

I bottled 8 different beers from kegs last night to share. Looking forward to it!

Wallyworld has 2.5 gallon Ziploc bags. A 12.5 split will fit in one. I then take all my splits and put them in a large square Tupperware container. The foodgrade buckets from Lowes will hold 25 lbs of grain. I put gamma lids on all of my buckets. The funny thing is, is that the lids cost more than the buckets.

I find that a quarter sack fits nicely in some square buckets I pick up from a local bakery. check with some bakeries, they'll leave them go for free or for a buck.

what time is pick-up tomorrow? gotta figure out when i can sneak out of work for a few. wish i could stay for tasting again...

Currently planning to get there around 12 to pick up and do some sampling. When are others planning to arrive/sample? My schedule is flexible

I'll be there sometime between 11:30 and 12. I'm staying for sampling this time. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the hard work guys. Having the splits done and ready for pickup was amazing.

Thanks to everyone for participating, and especially to the folks who came last night and helped me get set up. That was HUGE.

On the split storage - I have some regular buckets, gamma seal buckets, Mylar and oxygen eaters, etc. my favorite for splits so far are the 10# Bergan storage containers. It's a little pricy compared to a bucket, but it fits a 12.5 lb split really well. It's also super convenient and has a gasket. I paid 12 for the first two and got 5 more this past week after using them the first time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MW8JZY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Was pretty good - Got the SWMBO her new car (although 4.5 hours at the dealership - ugh) and then went to a home wine tasting with her coworkers. A few were wondering when I'm doing a beer tasting.

Right now I'm sitting in my rental that I had my malt in. Left it here last night so I'd have it when I took my old car up to trade in. The rental has a great "new malt smell" to it. It reeks of marris otter ... in a good way. Those car rental folks are going to be very confused on Monday morning :cross:.

Tangled Up In Brew III

Although not related to the group buy, I wanted to make all of you aware of a home brew event and competition happening on October 12, from 6 - 9 PM, in Connellsville, PA.

The event is titled Tangled Up In Brew and this is the third year. They just opened registration for all home brewers. The event is hosted by the city of Connellsville. All proceeds go to fund community projects in the city.

I have participated in the previous two competitions and have had a lot of fun. All the home brewers involved supply the beer and serve it themselves to people who have paid to attend the event. There are prizes, such as, best name, best beer, most unique beer. For participating, brewers will get in free and receive an additional free ticket for a guest to this event, which includes a glass. Even if you cannot brew for the event, you can inquire about buying a ticket to attend.

I want to get the word out because its a great time, for a good cause, and an opportunity to try other brewers' beers. The event is held outside, the last two events have had bands, but I'm unsure about this year's competition.

If you have any questions, you may PM me. I am not part of the planning, but may be able to answer your questions or put you in touch with people who can give you answers.

I have emailed brewguyver a message titled "Tangled Up In Brew" which contains an attachment. I have asked him to forward the email to all of you. In the attachment you will find a multi-page information sheet and sign up form. brewguyver will not have much information, besides what is in the email that I sent him, so please direct the questions to me or to the contact information in the attachment.

I hope some of you can attend and share your delicious brew with appreciative tasters.

Take care and see you all there! :)

Argyle

P.S. If you are sure you want to participate, it would be a good idea to register early so that the planners can have an idea of how many brewers will participate,otherwise, I do not know the cutoff date for registration.

Forgot to mention that all internet searches will direct you to information for the past two events. I have not seen any information posted on Facebook or in the news about this years event. I am sure something will be posted. Just letting you know to avoid any confusion.

Just an update on the Tangled Up In Brew competition. The organizers have sent out an email asking brewers to respond soon to reserve their spot for the competition. They are not asking that the full application be completed yet, that can be completed later.

If interested and need more information or application contact: [email protected]

Also, if you want to attend to be a sampler and not a brewer, tickets are $13 dollars prepaid and $15 at the event.

You can also check out their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tangled-Up-In-Brew/440169132762378

Good Day!

I may be at tangled up - the Nelson blonde and citra cream ales I thought were bad turned out to be great after carbing. Too many high ABV/IBU hydrometer samples put me in a new brewer panic (acetobacter invasion - ahhhhhhhhh - I'll never brew again !!!!!).

Related to infections, I have my starters from the EBB/EBY going in 15 ml tubes, and will pitch into 250 ml starters this weekend. If anyone's still interested, I'll pull off samples once the 250 ml starters are done. I can bring them to the nov group buy.

Related note - sorry for the delay on getting out the contingency totals. I just got home from wedding/honeymoon last night. Everything went great - I just didn't have time to do any non wedding stuff before I left. I plan on catching up this weekend.

I have heard from a few other brewers who are planning to attend as a result of this posting. Hope to see you there!

Congratulations on your wedding!

Last day to sign up for Tangled Up In Brew as a brewer is October 1st, 2013.

brewguyver... if you have any of the EBB/EBY samples left i'd love some.

thanks and congrats on the wedding.

FYI - for those of you who use united way for donating and are looking for a non-profit to donate to:

I figured out how to donate to The Brew House Association - the non-profit that lets us use their space for group-buy tastings. You can do a write in and provide their name, address, and EIN.

No pressure (I added a "thanks from the homebrewers of Western PA!" note to my donation).

Here's the info:
The Brew House Association Inc.
WRITE-IN: 2100 Mary St, Pittsburgh, PA 15203, EIN:251676975

Here's a link to their profile, financial statements, and 501c3 letter from the IRS
http://pittsburghgives.guidestar.org/NonprofitProfile.aspx?OrgId=3541

I will be in for the next group buy. I am starting to run a little low on supplies.

I'm going to try aand get one set up over the weekend for pickup around New Years (assuming they won't deliver near Xmas). I'm probably going to keep this to 1-2 pallets - 3 was WAY too many.

I'm going to try aand get one set up over the weekend for pickup around New Years (assuming they won't deliver near Xmas). I'm probably going to keep this to 1-2 pallets - 3 was WAY too many.

We typically order 7 or more pallets on our group buys. 3 pallets should be manageable. $0.02 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back