Cleaning E-HERMS System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
I've done a ton of searches and can't seem to find the information I'm looking for. I figured with all of the automated systems being built here, this is a good time to start a cleaning conversation.

We recently built an E-HERMS Kal Clone, and are finding cleaning to be a big hassle after each batch. Are there any techniques or advice you have for cleaning 20 gallon electric kettles (Blichmann) without having to move them?

We especially had trouble with the MLT false bottom (removing grain particles) and the boil kettle hop stopper. Cleanup took a couple hours and we had water everywhere.

We tried to use the pumps to our advantage, but it proved to be inefficient.

Cheers!

Wouldn't it just be disconnect all hoses, dump grain, remove dip tube/false bottom, rinse with hot water, clean with oxygen base cleaner then sanatizer?

Garyr2973 said:
Wouldn't it just be disconnect all hoses, dump grain, remove dip tube/false bottom, rinse with hot water, clean with oxygen base cleaner then sanatizer?

Sanitizer is unnecessary. Hot side sterilizes everything and would become useless by the time you would brew next.

something that has helped for me is the purchase of a 5 gallon bucket shop vac from HD this solves the bottom drain issue

I am considering extending the hot water plumbing from its location at the sink to brew area and installing a quick disconnect for the hoses and pump

redman67 said:
something that has helped for me is the purchase of a 5 gallon bucket shop vac from HD this solves the bottom drain issue

I am considering extending the hot water plumbing from its location at the sink to brew area and installing a quick disconnect for the hoses and pump

Yeah I'm thinking a wet vac is my next purchase. The hop stopper makes it difficult to rinse the BK in place, but maybe we just need to scrape it all out and then pump hot water through it. Also considering ditching the hop stopper for a removable hop spider of some kind.

yea I use the spider and it works great I also have a SS pot scrubber over the end of the dip tube which works out good also

I work with a 700L fermentor and I use Sodium Hydroxide (0.1M) in solution that is circulated by a CIP pump through a couple of spray balls. The solution is heated to 175F first. The combination of heat and base cleans the fermentor very well. I then add enough phosphoric acid to neutralize the solution before doing a final water rinse.

Cleaning the grain out of the false bottom can't be helped. Replacing the hop stopper with a hop spider or a huge stainless tea ball (what I use) will definitely help.

I'm looking to clean-in-place and use an alkaline cleaner (not "proper" caustic -that stuff scares the crap out of me and I want to live) but I want to use my normal chugger pumps; I don't want to buy a special separate pump or set of pumps to CIP and a normal chugger or march home brew pump won't work properly with a CIP ball. -Another solution is needed. I've looked at making a sparge arm my replacement but they're overly expensive of a solution. I found a garden/yard sprayer that's made from propelene and that has a 1/2" NPT male fitting (MPT) -they're from a company called "Blue Bird" and are available at the big box home stores. -I'm exploring these as a cheap and simple solution.

I have a bottom-drain mashtun and I figure with a dip tube in the HLT and kettle I can get enough of the liquid out to make CIP an option.

I've been told that dishwasher tablets without the spot-free rinse additive are a great way to get an alkaline cleaner and detergent combo on the cheap (I plan to drop 2 in my HLT and test the PH and then use my HLT as my cleanser tank.). The spot-free tablets will leave a film behind that will cause problems, though.

Adam

Back