Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
i'm starting this one tomorrow, took pieces of various pumpkin recipes and here's what i got, looking for feedback:

8 lbs Light DME
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1 lb Biscuit
1 lb Caramel 80L
60 oz canned pumpkin (steeped for 30 minutes with grains)
1 oz hallertau (60 minutes)
1 oz willamette (5 minutes)
3/4 tsp McCormicks Pumpkin Spice (5 minutes)
2 packs S-05 dry yeast

add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to priming solution in bottling bucket.
Any thoughts or ideas, reverse teh hop schedule or etc?

I'm making a pumpkin ale tomorrow as well. Looking for tips

i just took pieces from different recipes i liked and threw this together, the guys at the brew shop said it should turn out alright, i guess we will find out

I use canned pumpkin in the mash with mine. I add rice hulls so I don't get a stuck run off. I add the spices to the boil.

The night before I spread out the pumpkin on baking sheets and bake it at 350 for 30-45 minutes to caramelize some of the sugars.

My last batch I added 3 large cans of Libby Brand to the mash with a pound of rice hulls (all grain recipe) and had no problems. If doing a five gallon batch you only need one packet of dry yeast, just rehydrate it first.

I just tapped open the keg of my first ever pumpkin ale and have to say it is pretty drinkable. I really don't care for the over the top pumpkin beers some people like and my girlfriend thought I should try one with pumpkins from our garden so I set out to make a lighter brown ale with a hint of pumpkin spice. Overall I'd have to say I was pretty successful. It smells like pumpkin spice, tastes up front like a brown ale and has a kind of lingering pumpkin spice to it that is by no means overwhelming. If you want I detailed the process from researching the style to recipe formation to brew day on my blog. Link to it below and scroll down.

I just tapped open the keg of my first ever pumpkin ale and have to say it is pretty drinkable. I really don't care for the over the top pumpkin beers some people like and my girlfriend thought I should try one with pumpkins from our garden so I set out to make a lighter brown ale with a hint of pumpkin spice. Overall I'd have to say I was pretty successful. It smells like pumpkin spice, tastes up front like a brown ale and has a kind of lingering pumpkin spice to it that is by no means overwhelming. If you want I detailed the process from researching the style to recipe formation to brew day on my blog. Link to it below and scroll down.

i agree with you othe over the top pumkins beers, i do like PumKing, also Dogfish Punking is great, however i was not a fan of UFO pumpkin, too much stice in it for me. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is fantastic

started this yesterday, the SG was higher than anticipated. I took the reading at 74 degrees and it was 1.075.

i'm happy it was higher than anticpated, hopefully we will have a high abv 7%-8% is great for me.

i've been monitoring my carboy and its bubbling like crazy, however i do not pickup any pumkin aromas from it, only the co2 like normal pale ales and IPAs just less hoppy, is that normal? should i be picking up aromas of pumkin spice during fermentation?

Mine stopped bubbling after the second day but has a strong pump spice to it. What's the intended FG suppose to be? (Roughly)

fermentation started saturday night and thursday its still pushing a bubble out of the blow off tube, one every five seconds

I didn't like the McCormick spices, used my own blend from a pie recipie. I did not get any spices until the beer carbed up, then everything comes together nicely.

ah good news, because as of last night i still can not pick up any pumpkin, i know i used less than usual amounts for the spice but thought id be able to pick up on it a littl emore than i can now, if not i will still have a strong american brown ale, so thats a plus

I tried mine last night and it was very good. The fg was 1.016 so I'm thinking about bottling this weekend

i plan on bottling on Saturday, its been in the carboy for 3 weeks, i'll provide an update on gravity an dtaste after i bottle, and again after its carbed up

gravity was 1.015, bottled em up and tasted the hydrometer sample. i am glad i did not use any additional spices, it tasted great, smelled great, i'll update in a few weeks after its carbed up and let you know what i think.

I tried mine yesterday and it's the best beer I've made thus far. I really watched my fermenting temps and I think that really helped

I tried mine yesterday and it's the best beer I've made thus far. I really watched my fermenting temps and I think that really helped

Thats awesome! Congrats. i tried mine on friday night, it was bottles for a week and i wanted to get an idea of how it turned out. not bad at all, turned out to be 8% abv so i was really happy about that and the taste was decent enough, the spices were really mellow and the maltiness went really well.

Latest posts

Back