My Walk-In Cooler build for < $150

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxgearguy

Reaction score
I brewed a batch that fermented in August, in my garage. Not a good idea. Temps were very high and I wound up with a beer that while still tasty, was way off from my intent. That led me to the interwebs to find a way to control temps. Eventually I found some people who had built their own coolers.

This build cost me less than $150 and I have a 9'x4'x6' room. I've posted pictures and commentary here:

***Edit*** Link has been updated and works.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.323201631120699.75719.234282996679230&type=3

+3....I'm really interested to see how you did this (complete with refrigeration for less than $150. Most home built fermentation chambers go for $100 when you factor in material costs.

Your account is probably set to private or something, the link is giving "Content unavailable" error

Blue board is cheap and a small AC from wally world is about 60 bucks, So it is possible to do for about what he says. I would love to see the framework and how he framed it out and how thick the insulation actually is. I was originally going to build a blue board room 8X8X8 using furring strips and blue board with Duct seal tape (Silver Foil backed, super sticky) Then set the small AC on a cinder block high platform and blow it directly into the "room" . Most of those tiny little AC's even have a remote so you could adjust it from across the room. Hmmmmm, got me thinkin now....but I got too many projects going already.
Wheelchair Bob

Not sure what happened with the link. Updated in original post. If this fails I'll post the photo thread here.

Nice cheap setup! Any idea what kinda R-value your getting from those blocks? Also what temp are you planning on keeping that bad boy at? Is that little fan enough air blowing on the coils to keep them from freezing?

I use something on a smaller scale and trying to get the temps down below 45 or so is very difficult without getting ice on the coils, especially during the summer.

Yep. Should be effective for sure! What are the manifold and hoses next to AC unit for? Hope you don't have kids with all that exposed Styrofoam! Think my kids could have scattered all of it around your garage if I would have just let them look at the picture long enough........

kpr121: I'm not sure of the R value, I just know it's working. The first night I tested it down to 37.4 F and it held ok. Right now I'm still working out some electrical but keeping it at 40. I did get some icing on the coils but fixed that by moving the fan closer, and installing a single-pole dimmer for the power going to the AC fan. That size space doesn't need the fan blowing full blast.

501: The manifold runs to an external CO2 tank so I can force carb in the cooler. No kids at home to mess it up. I was thinking about collecting some of the larger political signs (4'x8's), and securing to the exterior just for appearances.

I like the fact that you were able to recycle so many different parts to build a very useful storage room for short money. Well done.

Where did you get all that foam? What was it's original purpose?

Will be interesting to see how often the AC needs to cycle to keep a space that size at your set temp.

Is it built in a heated garage? Or are you going to have to worry about heating that space during the winter?

kpr121:
501: The manifold runs to an external CO2 tank so I can force carb in the cooler. No kid litical signs (4'x8's), and securing to the exterior just for appearances.

Sounds like you've really thought it through! As for the signs, it would be a great way to preserve a little political history, as well as be a good reminder of one reason a lot of us drink beer in the first place.......
Great job, and hope it serves you well!!

LOVE it!
I have been considering doing something like this... Or extending the side of my garage out 6 or 8 feet and making that a cold room.
Great job!

I like the fact that you were able to recycle so many different parts to build a very useful storage room for short money. Well done.

Where did you get all that foam? What was it's original purpose?

It was used for packaging a discontinued product. The company is dismantling them and didn't want to fill up their dumpster with foam. Having a standard size helped tremendously in the build.

Is it built in a heated garage? Or are you going to have to worry about heating that space during the winter?

The garage isn't heated but the controller can kick on a space heater if needed. I haven't set that up yet. Portland temps are mild in the winter.

I think a more important test will come in the summer in regards to an uninsulated, unheated (cooled) garage. Portland temperatures should help you out though. Biggest issue will be keeping the moisture out as that is what will cause condensation and potential frozen coils.

I think a more important test will come in the summer in regards to an uninsulated, unheated (cooled) garage. Portland temperatures should help you out though. Biggest issue will be keeping the moisture out as that is what will cause condensation and potential frozen coils.

I did put up a vapor barrier and can see condensation from the inside on the wall side of the barrier. Humidity is rarely bad in Portland. I also put out some DampRid.

I love this, although it is bigger than personally need. Do you have links to some of the instructional sites?

It looks like I'll be doing something similar. For a while, I pondered how expensive foam boards are at Lowe's and Home Depot and eventually found a place (from Craigslist) which produces styrofoam for insulated concrete forms and had a lot of factory seconds to get rid of cheap. Basically, they are 4 ft long, 1 ft high, 2-4 inches thick and fit together like legos. How large is your chamber? Has that door served you well and is it just plywood? That's the other awkward thing which is expensive to purchase, but needs to seal well and not warp over time.

The plywood door is still working great! It's insulated on the interior with more foam.

I've found my max temp differential to be about 45 degrees. In the winter I can keep it just above freezing, summer it's happiest around 44 without ice buildup on the AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back