Shiner Cheer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribed!! Is that the holiday beer with peach/peach flavor. If I remember it was a pretty good beer. Can't help you though. Sorry.

It is a dunkelweizen -- I think it's fermented with an American wheat strain rather than a weizen strain -- with peaches and roasted pecans added in secondary.

captainL said:
Subscribed!! Is that the holiday beer with peach/peach flavor. If I remember it was a pretty good beer. Can't help you though. Sorry.

Yes that is the one! My wife isn't much of a beer fan but she loves it so I want to make it for her.

*Shiner Cheer or as I'm going to call it "Joy"*

-Basic Dunkelweizen + Joy - 5 gallons/Mini Mash/60 min boil

1 oz Brewers Gold Hops (1/2 @ 60, 1/2 @ last 15mins)
4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Cara Wheat
4 oz Red Wheat
4 oz Chocolate Wheat
1 3/4lb 2-Row
4lbs Wheat Malt Extract

(+)11.5g Safale S-04 yeast -make starter: added to PEACH juice (8 oz), heated for 45mins @155 degrees

(+) 8 oz Pecans --start with halves soaked overnight in salt water(to promote enzymes that improve flavor), slow roasted till dry, soaked overnight in vodka(to remove oils), slow roasted till dry, break up into quarters, leave over night, slow roast until barely starting to smoke, and then remove from oven, then add to grain bag and start wort. 45 min mashing.

Brew as normal.

At bottling Add 1 oz Pecan liquid beer flavoring, and 1 oz Peach to priming sugar(4.5 oz corn sugar)
*This is amusing the taste/flavor ratio is 2:1 - Pecans:peaches (Pecan extract is 2x stronger than Peach)

I formulated this recipe and am going to boil on Saturday!!!
I will report back with gravity, and final product in 6 weeks or so...

Would anyone disagree that the taste/ flavor ratio in Cheer is 2:1-Pecan:peach ??????

I say run with it and see what happens! I've not had the stuff in years but it ressurected in my thoughts when a friend talked about it. She's big on the cheer and I've got in the bottle now 9 or 10 beers so it's time to brew one for someone else.

Do you have any updates on the concept of this?

Or hell if you haven't brewed it, I'm right down the road from you if you want to try an all grain batch. I'm off the 35 and Walzem area in San Antonio. Should just be a simple conversion since you did mini replace the 4# LME with 6# of base grains.

That seems like a lot in the peach and pecan departments but let us know how it turns out. I've never had good experience with using peaches -- tends to produce a sort of muddled flavor -- but you may have better luck.

Do you have any updates on the concept of this?

Or hell if you haven't brewed it, I'm right down the road from you if you want to try an all grain batch. I'm off the 35 and Walzem area in San Antonio. Should just be a simple conversion since you did mini replace the 4# LME with 6# of base grains.

Change: I added the roasted pecans (80 grams) to the secondary- idk what I was thinking adding to the mash..

bottled on the 13th, everything seemed ok, nice aromas
OG 1.047 FG 1.012 ~4% abv

lets see how this turns out and go from there :mug:

That seems like a lot in the peach and pecan departments but let us know how it turns out. I've never had good experience with using peaches -- tends to produce a sort of muddled flavor -- but you may have better luck.

yeah, i only used half of "recommended" on the extracts, i dont want a "flavored beer" just notes of flavors, but at bottling, i would say its prob still too much peach... we'll see.. im going to give it 3 weeks and then another in the fridge...

Awesome awesome! I picked up the supplies to do an all grain version from the LHBS I'll wait for your flavor notes perhaps if I can keep the person that wants it off me long enough to do so and then give it a whirl. If you determine anything in the interim, please let me know. I suppose you can take it slow and add some peach or pecan to the secondary as you go and see how it smells and tastes throughout uncarbed. However you're running the infection risk playing that game.

i just opened one to check the carb- just as we feared - the peach flavoring gives a "muddled taste" as RAM mentioned. and even though I used half of recommended, the flavor and after taste screams fake flavorings - this is my first brew involving flavorings
next time i think use like 2#'s (just guessing) of roasted pecans and real peach juice at bottling
i just wanted to see if this would be close, but still wished i hadnt used flavorings now, maybe the chemical astringent-ness will soften or age out in the fridge, we'll see

So here is my thought. I'm not going to secondary. I'm going to primary for a month and am using 24 oz of pecans. I'm blanching them in water and vodka to get the oils off. I will add the peach extract at bottling time a tbsp at a time til I get what I want then add one more maybe as it will die off a bit In carbonation I imagine. I'll come back a month later and let you know how much peach I use.

P.S. sorry for the long time frame but the girl I am brewing this for wants to go on a two month seafood and zero beer diet. So a month in the ferm and shhhhh don't tell her a month in the bottles with me sneaking a few at one week increments. I've also got two other batches bottled and waiting and 9 types in the beer fridges and a heffeweizen going. No such thing as too much beer!

GOOD NEWS!

Kinda...
So I don't think it particularly tastes like "Cheer", however it was a huge hit!
I think it needs a hint more peach, and a little less pecan.

I took it over to a party of a bunch of people I didn't know, in order to get a more honest opinion.
Everyone swears it tastes just like "HEB Creamy Creations Pecan Praline Ice Cream".
They also insisted I brew more just for them, lol.

So here is my thought. I'm not going to secondary. I'm going to primary for a month and am using 24 oz of pecans. I'm blanching them in water and vodka to get the oils off. I will add the peach extract at bottling time a tbsp at a time til I get what I want then add one more maybe as it will die off a bit In carbonation I imagine. I'll come back a month later and let you know how much peach I use.

idk if you've done this yet, but I would highly recommend using juice instead of flavorings, really thats what Spoetzl's uses anyway
i also made a Ruby Redbird, in that I used grapefruit juice, and the flavor is MUCH better than the flavoring I used in this one...

Resurecting this thread from the graveyard; I had my first Holiday Cheer last year on a trip to SA. Picked it up without reading the bottle, I swear I thought it tasted like egg nog. Does anyone care to post the "final" recipie? I'd like to put this on my (ever increasing) brew schedule.

Bumping this thread since it is about time to brew this for the season! I love Shiner Cheer and will probably still buy several cases of this even if the recipe on the thread works out. Also, I'm considering using apricot since it has a richer more pronounced flavor to me than peaches. I plugged it into iBrewmaster and it fits the style perfectly for a Dunkelweisen except for the IBU appears to be high. Any reason you chose to use more hops? This will be my second batch and my first post to the forums. Great job to all on coming up with a clone for one of my favorite seasonal beers!!

I have a batch in primary I'm ready to bottle this weekend. I bumped the peach juice to 16 OZ. and I added the nuts and juice after 3 days instead of knockout. I'll give it a taste and see if I need to add more peach. Let me know how the apricot works out. If I am unhappy with the peach I may switch for the next batch. (I have not had good results with flavorings thus far)

william_shakes_beer said:
I have a batch in primary I'm ready to bottle this weekend. I bumped the peach juice to 16 OZ. and I added the nuts and juice after 3 days instead of knockout. I'll give it a taste and see if I need to add more peach. Let me know how the apricot works out. If I am unhappy with the peach I may switch for the next batch. (I have not had good results with flavorings thus far)

Chip from Brewing TV did a California Common with Clementine oranges that he essentially boiled with the wort. I wonder if this could be done with the peaches with any success...

Most of the readings I have done here go in the opposite direction. Apparently prolonged boiling drives off many of the essential elements of flavor. Even the action of co2 bubbles through the wort can have such an effect. Hence the practice of adding fruit in secondary fermentation. I have not had a lot of success with added flavorings. I am moving more and more to bottling bucket additions. But by all means give it a try and let us know what your experiences are. After all, first hand experience always trumps thoughtful readings!!!

Here it is in primary! Missed the OG by about .02 high, but otherwise everything went well! Did a mini mash like the posted recipe suggested. I also found apricot flavoring at my LHBS so I am going to try that in secondary. I didn't add pecans to the grain bag, thought I would try that in secondary as well.

image-242785046.jpg

I just tossed the pecans in primary 48 hours after pitching. bottled this past saturday. Pecan bits kept jamming the bottling wand. Next time I'm going to leave them whole.

Good advice! As I am new to all of this and even more to adding fruits/nuts to secondary, did you do the prep of the pecans as was mentioned before in the thread? If so, what is the purpose of doing this? Thanks for the help!

Yes I did the nut prep. Not sure the reason but i believe it is to extract oils that could interfere with the head formation and produce a toasty flavor. Whatever it did worked, because I tasted a couple nuts from the fermenter after bottling and they had no taste whatsoever. When doing a new recipie I always follow the instructions exactly. If I'm not happy I then start making adjustments. Its kinda funny that I end up using $20 of vodka to brew $20 of beer!!!

Elweydoloco said:
Awesome awesome! I picked up the supplies to do an all grain version from the LHBS I'll wait for your flavor notes perhaps if I can keep the person that wants it off me long enough to do so and then give it a whirl. If you determine anything in the interim, please let me know. I suppose you can take it slow and add some peach or pecan to the secondary as you go and see how it smells and tastes throughout uncarbed. However you're running the infection risk playing that game.

Did you add rice hulls to the mash? How much if you did, or if you did not how did the lauter go?

Rice hulls? What for?

I saw that he tried an all grain version and I didn't know if he would have any problems lautering with all the wheat. I have never made a wheat beer before and am wondering if I needed to add any additional hulls for filtering.

enginerd2003 said:
I saw that he tried an all grain version and I didn't know if he would have any problems lautering with all the wheat. I have never made a wheat beer before and am wondering if I needed to add any additional hulls for filtering.

Oh, I see. I didn't have any problems with the Lauter. I use a manifold with a stainless mesh hose covering though, not much but wort gets through that.

Hey guys, I just brewed a batch this weekend and was wondering what the consensus is on when to add peach juice and pecans if the brew is to be kegged? Should I add both when I transfer to secondary?

Thanks!

I don't keg, so my experience is indirect. However, I had problems with the pecan peices getting stuck in my bottling wand and sticking the foot valve open. If I were you i would NOT put the pecans in the keg, and I will probably not break them into peices next time I brew it. Peach juice, i put into the primary 48 hours after i pitched the yeast. I don't have an extra fermenter so doing a secondary doesn't work for me. In readings I have done hdere it seems that the co2 generated in primary fermentation can dri ve off a lot of the flavorings used in Beer.

I am still new at this but I added the flavoring and pecan pieces to my secondary carboy. I will have to see if they get stuck in my bottling wand or not but I feel like it will be safe. Just a suggestion that may help, only cut the halves into quarters. I started to cut the halves in half, and then again, and realized that the instructions may lead you to think they should be cut into eighth size pieces. The quarters should be too big to get stuck but we shall see. Also I used apricot flavoring for a little sweeter flavor, I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the info guys. Fermentation is starting to settle down on mine so I will probably move to secondary this weekend. Looking forward to getting this on tap for our Christmas beer party in mid December.

Hey guys. I never replied but the clone of this I tried was ridiculously close and tasted amazing!!! Follow my directions and I blanched the pecans in vodka prior to adding to the primary to get off any oils and nasties. The pecans I think 80 grams were baked until almost smoking as well in the oven. I threw them in the primary let it sit a month and it was AMAZING. I'm making a batch tomorrow actually.

Here it is after a week in bottles. I think it's very close! Though mine is a bit hazy. (I don't have a wort chiller yet...) the flavor is very similar. Head characteristics are very similar, as is the mouth feel. Of course, using the apricot flavoring set it apart a bit. Next time I think I will stick to the peach. Overall, I like it! Which is good because I made two 5 gallon batches on back to back weekends. I am knee deep in joy!

image-354197128.jpg

image-2891258893.jpg

Groner it looks damn good sir!!! I'm on my third batch of this stuff now. I've obviously fine tuned the recipe since the first time and have it pretty close IMO. I'll list my exact recipe and put up once this one is done.

I went ahead and brewed this over the weekend. I also did this as a mini mash and I am waiting to put in the peaches and pecans in the secondary when its time.

Things learned so far:

1. Buy shelled pecans. It takes forever to shell them yourself and never come out in whole pieces, much less half or even quarter. And watch out for larvae in the pecans too.

2. Peaches are out of season right now. I hoping to use fresh ripe peaches, but had to go frozen instead.

Back