Fruit Brandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
Just bought a kit and made one gal of Cherry Brandy. The kit was 30.00 and thought after making it that I could do it a lot cheaper. Have access to lots of blackberries and this one recipe calls for taking a crock and putting a layer of berries then layer of sugar and keep doing this until get to top. Then cover with plastic for 4 mo and then throw berries on the composts pile and filter the juice and one has Brandy.

My question is has anyone tried this and if so how did it taste and how much can one expect to get from this process as blackberries do not give off a lot of juice.

Thanks

Brandy is distilled from wine. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that putting berries and sugar in a pot will get you that. Berries and sugar in a pot will probably get you really bad berry wine that was fermented with wild yeasts, been done for centuries, but wild yeasts impart bad flavors.

Thanks..lot of recipes on internet have me using brandy or everclear so guess it is Brandy by infusion....not into using a still...Although in this part of N.C. can swing a cat and hit a still...

You may not be able to do real brandy, but you can probably make a good approximation of the kit brandy without distillation.

From the description of those kits it sounds like they just use a turbo yeast to get 40 proof wine then back flavor with a syrup, but i can't be sure because they don't list ingredients.

What was included in your kit?

yes that is what they did..used powered charcoal sorbate finnings glucose then cherry flavor Brandy and back sweeten with 2 cups of sugar. Also at start of process used one qt of water to 3 lbs of sugar with two packets of yeast..

Back