Sampled 2nd batch and bottled 3rd batch today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11980

Reaction score
Chilled and sampled a beer from my second batch that has been in bottles for 1 week. It's good but not great like my first batch was so I guess it will get more time to condition in bottle. I also bottled my third batch and am noticing my skill going up greatly at that. Hopefully I will get to the LHBS this weekend and get stuff to brew. I picked up a couple of free 5 gal buckets from the bakery at walmart so I should be set to make larger batches.

I must say this is quickly becoming an obsession and I'm very grateful the help everyone here has given. Thanks for helping me make this successful.

This is an LME batch and I do detect that twang everyone talks about. I have another LME and then DME after that. Thinking of trying a partial mash for this weekend.

Definitely a good idea to do many batches to start with. They always turn out great, or at least drinkable. I started with only one batch and ran out of beer as my second one was almost done.
As for the twang, try to get the freshest stuff you can. So go to a large home brew store that sells a lot. And only add 1/4 or so of the extract in the beginning of the boil and add the rest at the end. Late extract addition is what it's called, and it helps keep LME from being caramelized.

Thanks for the tip IceFisherChris, I plan on doing DME for a bit and transitioning to some form of AG/partial mash/easy stovetop AG/etc. depending on what equipment I can come up with.

Back