Indoor RIMS/HERMS with natural gas? Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppleton

Reaction score
Although I'm a little ways off from buying or building a RIMS or HERMS, I'm starting to learn as much as I can about them. I do not have a garage. I currently brew outside my basement window and pump the wort inside to my fermenter. I would like to brew completely inside. My house is heated with natural gas and I suspect this would be the cheapest/easiest heat source.

Does anyone brew inside with a natural gas or LP RIMS or HERMS setup?
If so, what kind of safety precautions do you have as far as carbon monoxide exposure, etc? For instance is SABCO's brewmagic setup something you could use inside safely?

I realize there is always going to be some risk but with decent ventilation and an exhaust hood through the window I would think this could be done.

Your going to have a vast amount of water vapor condensating in the house from the boil as well the combustion off the burners.
There's the added safety hazard of gas which scares the hell out of me
going with any gas used indoors and i've done many crazy things in
my life, this is one I will not do. I do have a gas cook top well the wife does as she hates electric stoves.
Cost is another consideration if your just starting out, shall it be gas or electric and which one is easier to control?
I've had propane which is now at $22.99 for a 3 1/2 gallon exchange bottle which is a big ripoff in my city as well switching to natural gas which was cheaper but only on a outdoor brewing system. Went with manual control electric, much better and now another system in the future with electric with electric control. Simple and clean. JMO here, i'll never go back to gas.
BTW the electric brewing will still be out on the patio.

Natural Gas is safer than propane if you are going to brew indoors. It disssapates more readily and propane is heavier than air, finding it's way into knooks and crannies. It's not like your stove. The burners we use are much, much larger and if not properly set up, give off lots of carbon monoxide. Like Beemer said, the only way I would go for indoor brewing is electric.

Back