Any other old Dead Heads around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
Hey Now!

Just wondering if there are any other old Dead Heads like myself around here. If there are, have you found archive.org yet? If not here's a link:

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

I like this site a lot, you can listen to almost every show that's ever been recorded, and there's tons of them by the way :rockin:. You can download audience tapped shows and listen to soundboards. When you select a show you might want to click on the 'VBP M3U" link on the left side of the page. That opens up the windows media player which has lots more adjustability to the audio.

Just thought I'd pass this along, I know I've seen Jerry's pic on somebody's name, sorry but I can't remember who. Enjoy!

Not a big fan myself, but my cousin did go to seven shows before he was a year old.

Not sure if I'm an "old" Deadhead - clinging to my 30s for a few more weeks! - but I caught two dozen or so GD and JGB shows between 1990-95. I collected concert recordings on cassette - had over a thousand of them, all GD - and listened to pretty much nothing else for quite some time. I have a well worn copy of Deadbase, tons of books, and I got to meet Phil Lesh at one of his book signings!

After Jerry passed away I started branching out. I really don't listen to the Dead much these days, but will still throw in a show every now and then. I didn't see any of the last tour due to the high ticket price. It didn't help that they didn't play near me, and that Phish, arguably my favorite band, came back this summer after a 5 year hiatus...

But I have to give credit to the GD audience taping scene. That started me on the path to becoming a taper. I now record all sorts of live music, and quite a bit of it ends up on archive.org (Bands must first grant permission before you can upload recordings of them - it's completely legal!) I have a 'bookmark' list where you can check those out - give something a stream or download in mp3, ogg, or lossless FLAC:
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/scottt

Had to post some pics too:

Jerry in NYC, 1971
garcia71nyc-1.jpg

The band on April 14, 1978
gd1978-04-14.jpg

My GDTS mail-order ticket stubs from Spring '93 tour, including the unused tickets for the March 13th show which was canceled due to the "Blizzard of the Century"
gdspring1993stubs-1.jpg

I'm gonna have to check that site out. Thanks !! :mug:

Just a bit (slightly) off-topic, I saw The Jerry Garcia Band open for Zappa in the early 80's. That was an...interesting show, to say the least !

I'm not an old deadhead (I'm 23), but I've been listening to The Dead since high school. I've been listening to their archinve, and everything else on there for about 6 or 7 years now.

Make sure to check out the "stream only" shows. They are almost all soundboards. I was on before they decided to make all the soundboards stream only, so I have quite a collection. :fro:

I'm streaming Derek Trucks with Jimmy Herring right now though. :D

Seventy+ shows under my belt. Starting at the Spectrum in Philly in 78 when I was 14. It was my first concert ever. My last show was in '95 at the Meadowlands. I almost died that night. A big rig passed within a foot of my face doing 50 MPH while I was trying to cross I10. Sobered me up good and fast.

At one point I had collected a tape of each show that I had seen but they have all seemed to just disappear over the years.

I do have a couple hundred hours worth of shows on my MP3 player now. A lot of Dick's Picks.

Aha, finally found the good stuff on HBT! Truly the greatest band of all time, too young to ever catch Jerry but I have found that through all times and places I always come back to these guys. As much as I love the hundreds of shows I have, I just can't get that into the Phil and Friends shows, the Dead do generally bring it though.

If your looking for big caches of live stuff, check out the torrents on thepiratebay.org. I just pulled every dicks pick ever off of there, its like 7 days of music, and I think Mr. Latvalla generally has pretty good tastes.

Cheers

If your looking for big caches of live stuff

There is a "complete" live dead project (every recorded show!) if you know where to look. It clocks in around 5.5 TB. I've never been able to convince myself that it was worth purchasing that much hard drive space.....

5.5 TB. I've never been able to convince myself that it was worth purchasing that much hard drive space.....

and you call yourself a deadhead.... :D

The Dead can likely be attributed with my love for bluegrass and jazz, both of which I started listening to after a high school intro to the first family of love.

I still listen.

and I love this long strange trip.

Back