Am I screwed???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Hi all...Just finished my second batch...Brewers Best California Pale Ale...I made a total newbie mistake by allowing a boil over...DUH...Started to boil and I turned to hit the timer and when I turned around...Well you know the story...Anyways...It was right at the hop break and Im not sure how much Wort or Hops I lost...Moderate mess...but i Relaxed, Drank a home brew and continued on (despite the internal "aw screw it clock")...Well FG came out at what the kit stated (+/- 1060) but im a tad concerned about the color...Recipe called for 6.6# Amber extract and 2# Amber DME...Seems the color is more Caramel than Amber and a slight overcooked aroma...No burns noted, but I was wondering if I boiled off too much? Still finished at 2 gal as per recipe...Did I boil it too hot? (Is that possible?)...Anyways...Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated or do I just need to have another homebrew or maybe a Paxil? Thanks...Jay:drunk:

Usually the mess looks alot more than it really is. You'll be fine. If you hit your target OG and volume, (I usually don't worry about the color anyway...)....No biggie....

The color in extract is never exactly what you would expect for that type of beer. I'd be more worried about the mess on the stove! I still haven't figured out what gets all that burnt on crud off yet...

I agree with everyone else. You'll get more control over the color once you go all grain. Hopefully the scorched smell/taste will be removed during fermentation and aging. Beer is a resilient substance. Sometimes... Be cool, and ferment that stuff!! Good luck- You'll be fine!!:rockin:

The color in extract is never exactly what you would expect for that type of beer. I'd be more worried about the mess on the stove! I still haven't figured out what gets all that burnt on crud off yet...

Make a paste of oxiclean and water and scrub with a nylon (non scratch) scrubbie. Add more oxiclean as needed, to use like a scouring powder. Another thing that works well is Barkeeper's Friend. That's like a scouring powder that is sold at places like Family Dollar.

I think it will come out fine, just continue as normal. Had the same thing happen to me in years past so dont feel too bad:mug:

It'll be fine, don't worry about it.

In the future, if you want to keep the color a little lighter with extract, put half of the extract in at the beginning of the boil and the other half in with 10-15 minutes to go in the boil.

And I'll trade you one of those pale ales for an amarillo IPA when they're done. :)

Back