how much wheat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I'd like to try some malted wheat to aid in head retention. What's the least you can add to the grain bill to achieve a notable effect, say in a pale ale? Would 1/4# be sufficient in a 5.5 gallon batch? Note that I'm not looking to brew a wheat beer...

Thx.

How about Carapils? I've seen it in lots of pale recipes here.

From Briess website:
Use up to 5% for increased foam, improved head retention and enhanced mouthfeel in any beer style.

i've used carapils, but haven't been too impressed...i've generally used it at only about 2.5% of the grain bill; maybe i need to use more.
i thought i'd give wheat a try as it seems i've read of a number of people espousing it for improving head retention.

I really like using carapils and white wheat together. Makes forgood head retention, but also a smooth creamy mouthfeel that compliments some beers very nicely. A pale would be a good canidate. I would go for about 4oz of each for a pale.

1/4# should do the trick. Any dextrin malt will do. Carapils, wheat, caramels, cara anything really.

WW

Back