No airlock activity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungerJack

Reaction score
I brewed a Robust Porter yesterday with an OG of 1.064. After cooling I pitched two packs of Safale S-04. I didn't rehydrate. As of now, 14 hours after pitching, a krausen has formed but there hasn't been any airlock bubbles or anything yet. Is this normal?

Krausen means it's fermenting, no airlock activity doesn't mean anything bad. Do not use the airlock as a fermentation indication tool. It's possible that the fermenter isn't sealed properly causing no activity in the airlock. Are you using a bucket or carboy?

If I do have a leaky bucket, will this cause significant problems throughout the course of my fermentation?

If I do have a leaky bucket, will this cause significant problems throughout the course of my fermentation?

Nope. Wouldn't worry about it at all. IT's pretty common for buckets, especially new ones, to leak around the seals. If there's krausen, you're golden. CO2 will push its way out and keep anything else out. No worries.

Krausen means it's fermenting, no airlock activity doesn't mean anything bad. Do not use the airlock as a fermentation indication tool. It's possible that the fermenter isn't sealed properly causing no activity in the airlock. Are you using a bucket or carboy?

I would alter that statement to :

"Do not use the airlock as THE ONLY fermentation indication tool."

For bucket users, if no airlock activity after 24 hours, you might want to take a peek inside the bucket to visually see what might be going on.

One of my first brews failed to start and I received the same "dismiss airlock activity" advice so I left it alone. Ten days later I took a look, and a hydrometer reading, and no fermentation had happened. I wish I would have looked in the bucket sooner but being a new brewer I didn't know any better.

You have two packs of dry yeast in the bucket, and you already have krausen. I would say you're good.

I would alter that statement to :

"Do not use the airlock as THE ONLY fermentation indication tool."

For bucket users, if no airlock activity after 24 hours, you might want to take a peek inside the bucket to visually see what might be going on.

One of my first brews failed to start and I received the same "dismiss airlock activity" advice so I left it alone. Ten days later I took a look, and a hydrometer reading, and no fermentation had happened. I wish I would have looked in the bucket sooner but being a new brewer I didn't know any better.

Agreed. I went off that he said there was krausen.

There's a leak for sure. 21 hours in right now. It's going nuts! I have a blowoff on it. I can see bubbles trying to get out the one side of my bucket. Krausen is going through the tubing and into a gallon bucket i have with water and sanistizer. Even with the blowoff could the leak still cause the lid to blow?

Agreed. I went off that he said there was krausen.

I figured that. I agree with you it is not the MAIN or ONLY indicator. We'd never make it in Congress.............

I see many saying an airlock is NEVER an indicator and my belief it is one of many indicators brewers have at their disposal. They all have to be taken in the composite.

Hi All. Long time listener, first time caller...

From everything I have read, I understand well that no airlock activity doesn't always mean no fermentation is happening. My question is, what (assuming fermentation has started) could cause a lack of airlock activity? From my understanding, it would only be poor sealing of the fermenter. Is there any other possibility?

Back