No fermentation - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munypenny007

Reaction score
I'm new to cider-making. I started a 3 gall batch of fresh pressed cider and only added a sachet of yeast- no campden tab. I put the carboy in a warm place and got nice fermentation (began 10/7/11) then moved it to a cooler spot (steady 63 deg.) and waited. Oh forgot to put water in the airlock, but don't think that mattered. When I checked 10/20 no more bubbles, so I waited a few days and racked it 10/22. This time remembered the water in the airlock. Almost a week later still no more bubbles but a clearing and some more sedement in the carboy....so now what? Do I continue to let it sit? I would like to end up with something carbonated and a little sweet. Thanks.

OG? Current gravity? Thats the only way to determine where you are in the fermentation process.

I'm in the same spot but haven't racked it yet. A bubble every minute or so, tastes like apple juice with trace alcohol. I started with only the yeast of the apples, clean, juiced (pippin) from my yard.
Sp gravity at start 2 weeks ago was 1.044 Now is 1.034

Should I throw in some yeast!

Thanks!

The specific gravity on my first 3 gall batch is 1.000. I didn't get a start reading. I used fresh cider and a sachet of yeast (dry type). I would like to have a end result of something that is dry and sparkling...the batch is clearing very nicely.

The specific gravity on my first 3 gall batch is 1.000. I didn't get a start reading. I used fresh cider and a sachet of yeast (dry type). I would like to have a end result of something that is dry and sparkling...the batch is clearing very nicely.

Id wait for it to finish clearing up and bottle it. When using fresh, unfiltered cider it wont be as clear as using juice.

No, I used backyard apples, water only washed, juiced and nothing added. I spoke with the local brew shop and they said just let it go it's own, slow organic way, because it tastes fine an the Sp is dropping, so that natural yeast is working, albeit slowly. I am in patient mode, now fo another month or so.

Interesting. If its still dropping too slow, add some yeast nutrient and/or energizer. Worked great for my mead.

Back