Does FAST carb = Bottle Bombs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Yesterday, I bottled 5 gal of a regular Red Ale .. it had been in the primary abt 2.5 weeks..no secondary.

After bottling, I left a bomber in the fridge. Tonight, 1 day after for kicks, I opened it to taste and it was quite carbonated ...

Do I need to worry about bottle bombs ?? I have never seen beer carbonate so quickly... I sacrificed a 12 oz bottle which was NOT refrigerated, and it was a semi-gusher (Infection ??) ...

yeah.... sometimes soon after bottling they seem to just jump out of the bottle while priming. Wait another week and all that fermentation will carb your beer up instead of jumping out of the bottle.

Did not take gravity reading ... hydrometer in pieces ..

I will mention that the fermentation seemed fast - like 1.5 days and then done ...
recipe says abt 1045

The fastest carb I had was from a case of gusher. I have not heard a technical name for it.

This stuff was fermented out, but was bubbling in the bottling bucket.

Bottling without causing bubbles was absolutely impossible.

I crash cooled them and I am still drinking them 2 months later. They are not gushing, but they were fully carbed in 2 days.

OK- I DO confess that the last gallon or so was very carefully POURED into the bottling bucket, so I confess to have added a bit of O2 into the mix ...

HMMM.. this is beginning to make sense now ...

Thx for making me think

kappclark said:
Did not take gravity reading ... hydrometer in pieces ..

I will mention that the fermentation seemed fast - like 1.5 days and then done ...
recipe says abt 1045

1.5 days seems awfully fast to me - did you bottle it after 1.5 days?? how did you decide it was done with no hydrometer?

I had it in the primary for abt 2.5 weeks ... no activity in airlock, so figured it was done..

No explosions yet =

Haddonfield - I used to go out w/a girl in Cherry Hill ...(met her in Cape May)

I've had some batches that totally fermented after 30 hours. All turned out fantastic (though I still waited 2 weeks to clean up DMS, diacetyl, etc)

Thats fine, as long as it is REALLY DONE, and not stuck.
The problem is that if it is just stuck, the bottling process could easily "unstick" the fermentation.

But, no way to know I guess without the hydrometer. I guess you could open a new bottle every few days. To test. ;) If you started to get some slight gushers, then put them all in the fridge. This will stop any more fermentation, and effectively lock in the carbonation.

Back